Dysons again

Designed to sell, but not to work.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Peter" wrote | Lifetime filters

Well, they last the lifetime of the filter don't they?

| ... my arse

Saves money on toilet paper I suppose.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Ah - that surprises me. I hd the feeling that in the past someone said you couldn't fix them yourself.

Thanks for that.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I disagree. When we got our DC04 about 4 or 5 years ago the main living room carpet had just been done with a traditional bagged machine. As it is with a new toy you play, so the living room carpet got done again, the DC04 filled it's tank twice from that supposedly clean carpet...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

When our DC01 arrived 7 years ago, I used it on the apparently clean living room carpet. The tank filled up before I got a third of the way across the room. Mostly dog hair, none of which had been visible on the surface. We don't have dogs, but the previous residents did.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

The only thing I have against my Dyson is that it is very heavy to lug around and a bit unwieldy.

Good luck with deciding Mary.

Jayne

Reply to
Jayne

Or maybe Dyson operate like M$? You want to sell our machines you carry this range of spares as well. At least I know that I can go into virtually any white goods place and get a spare filter or belt for a Dyson, the same can't be said for a lot of other makes.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A few days ago I wrote to Dyson via the "comments" section of there website, regarding the "no loss of suction" claim, which is untrue. No reply as of yet.

I will write to trading standards / advertising standars if I do not get a staifatory reply.

They block if you hover up soot (open fire) or plaster dust (you are in the building trade)

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote in message news:clm7bp$h8t$3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk...

I would disagree with this comment. We use, private environment & not commercial, a dc01 that I bought 2ndhand some years back, a dco3, 2x dc04 and a dc07. Also 3 x Vorwerks and a wet/dry vax thing. Oh, and also a couple of Oreck vacuums. IMO the Dysons are superb, running costs are minimal and Dysons' repair service is excellent. I've only used the repair service twice in about 5 years. First time was a genuine warranty job and was fixed within 24 hours by an engineer who visited us, 2nd time was a short while after SWMBO bought the dc07 (late 2002) and it was not collecting as it should. Engineer arrived armed with a clutch and other bits & bobs. Quite soon this engineer found the problem to be a blocked, but washable, filter. The engineer washed the filter and the machine was, once again, as new. Before you say it, I now know to RTFM. I would add that on both engineers visits they have given all the dysons a good going over at no more cost than a cuppa.. This has been quite invaluable as they can be buggers to get apart but watching one with experience has been a great help. Concealed fixings/fasteners etc. We do own a lot of vacuums but each and every one is used at least once a week. Big place and a big family. Not a fitted carpet in the entire area. Vorwerks are great but running costs are very high, also the more modern versions are even less robust than those of a few years back. Overpriced IMO but her indoors likes them. Terrific suction (twin motor) but bags are horrendously expensive and parts/service equally so. Vax thingy is good for specific tasks (not tried it wet) but noisy & cumbersome. Orecks are very light & powerful but noisy. Also uses bags.

I will remain loyal to Dyson until another manufacturer can offer their reliability and quality of service/warranty.

I do think it a shame that the manufacture has been moved o'seas but that is this Countries' problem, not Dysons.

Philip.

Gets off soap box to find hat & coat.

Reply to
Philip

Apparently that is a recognised problem in A&E departments.... ;-)

I am told (reasonably reliably) there was a time that the "dustbuster" was one of the primary causes of penile shaft injury in the uk! (has a rotating fan blade not too far back from the spout)

Reply to
John Rumm

Why on earth would ones todger be anywhere near a rotating fan blade not too far back, or anywhere else for that matter? The mind boggles!

Philip.

Reply to
Philip

We have a DC01 Absolute. By far the best I have used on carpets, especially pet hair etc. The actual amount of suction on the DC01 is not that great though so performance via the hose is less impressive.

Used a friends DC14 Animal the other day - that was very impressive - loads of suction and the active turbo brush thingy was very good for stairs.

I would not recommend using one for clearing up after DIY though since the air path is not big enough, although they make quite good extractors for sawdust (plus you can make some interesting strata effects in the waste bin buy changing timber types ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Is anyone else puzzled about this reply?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It's not actually for me. I was being a clever clogs with a friend when she talked about getting one and said I thought the folk round here didn't like them.

I've told her to read the thread.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Mary Fisher writes

I have always sworn by Henrys, but after using a DC04 the other week, I bought a Dyson Animal, (£224 from Tesco or Curry's website). Its the dogs...........

Having used the Henry, my cream carpet looked OK. Using the Dyson afterwards, my cream carpet looked - well - cream.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

You'd be surprised at what people do for cheap thrills. My father had a friend who used to be an ambulance driver and they would regularly take people into A&E with various bits of vacuum cleaners and other domestic appliances attached to their nether regions. Hoover Constellations were a favourite at one time AIUI; but there were more mundane things like milk bottles, bits of pipe, you name it.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

What's she done to you?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Given me the bird ;-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Since my friend has five large dogs (but no crem carpet that I know of) she might well be interested in this.

Are you 'arking, Jill?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I've got a Panasonic which is about that age. Which? best buy then. All it's ever needed is bags and belts. Oh - the 'headlight' died but that was a waste of time anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)