Dysons...

Page 1 of 3
Hi, Maybe a bit off topic but I am sure some of you have had to deal with this before: a broken dyson...
I was hovering my flat when the Dyson made a noise like getting stuck with something and a horrible smell (like burning) came out of it. I quickly disconnected it, looked at the brush (nothing there) and I tried starting it again after a few minutes: same noise and same smell.
I have had this dyson for more than 4 years and I have never had a problem with it. I have no extended warranty (they always seem a bad idea at the time :) )
The questions are: 1 - Is it worth opening the dyson and investigating further? (what should I look for?) or... 2 - Would it be better to just get a dyson technician to come and have a look? 3 - If getting a technician: does anyone have an idea of the call-out price?
Thanks for your help
MGA

Which can be easily taken apart by a housewife and hosed out in the garden. You know when it is full, as you see the container fill up.

They do suck and suck hard, and are well made. I don't know of a better sucker.

This reminds me that urban legend has it that Electrolux used to have an advertising slogan "Nothing sucks like an Electrolux" and that sales in America were disappointing.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM wrote:

Oh I do.
Fuck off Noddy.
snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk (MGA) writes:

When my DC02's motor failed (um, last summer, I think it was) the bloke I took it to reckoned it was because it had been overworked trying to suck through a clogged filter. He spent quite some time trying and failing to get a replacement motor out of Dyson's spares agent. When I phoned Dyson CS, they sold me a motor for about GBP50, IIRC, it arrived the next day, and the same bloke fitted it for GBP15. Evidently getting spares out of Dyson, if you're a business but not a Dyson dealer, can be tough. All Dyson needed from me was the serial number so's they could match the motor.
--
SAm.

MGA wrote:

Dyson charge 75 for a service visit if it includes replacing the motor so it is well worth calling them out. If there are any other problems with the machine get them fixed at the same time all included in the same price. We had ours repaired a couple of months ago and it is definitely cheaper than a new machine.
--
Regards

Tony Hogarty

price.
If parts are required, apart from motor, is it above the 75?
IMM wrote:

No all parts are included. If a motor is not required the cost is cheaper but can't remember exactly but I think it was either 45 or 50.
--
Regards

Tony Hogarty

Or buy a brand new Henry for about a fiver more...
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

motor so

with
cheaper
Which is no good for carpets as there is no revolving brush. It just sucks.

Absolutely. And what's more, IMM says it's no good, so it should be fine!
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

You mean that you don't scrape off your plates before handwashing them? Ick.
S Viemeister wrote:

Nah, washing up is women's work :-P
/me ducks and runs.
parish wrote:

And well you should! If I do the cooking, someone else can do the washing-up.
S Viemeister wrote:

Sadly, I usually do both...
IMM wrote:

See..you can't even put them in the dishwasher!
High maintenance.
See how long they last on snadblasting residue or plaster dust as well.
I think our record was 25 seconds.

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Which is what I meant when I said people abuse them. They really were not designed for such treatment.

Well, as I said elsewhere, my DC04 has only been used for this type of thing, and has been going fine for 3 years now.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Essjay001 wrote:

I know. They are designed for looking good in showrooms, and picking up the odd bit of IMM'ds face powder and mascara droppings
In short, they are designed to sell.
Sadly I need a vacuume cleaner that - er - generates a decent vaccuum and - er cleans...
Not a fashion Icon.
Dyson is the sort of thing one could imagine P Di having sex with, but its no good for deep cleaning.

not
Go away!! They are not are they? They actually want to sell them?