Dyson vacuums: really all that good?

Hi, all.

Got a shock the other day. We use an industrial vac round the house (cylinder on wheels - the sort they use in offices etc). Found an old Electrolux in the attic and gave it a go. The bag was filled with cat hair! Difference between the two: the upright old hoover-style Electrolux has a rapidly revolving brush near its front wheels. Presumably these scraped up the hair that the the powerful vacuum can't dislodge from the carpet fibres.

Anyway, it's got us thinking, and I've been browsing all these Dyson models - DC14 in particular.

Can anyone give us some advice? I suppose the ideal would be something with incredible suction AND that rapidly revolving brush.

Eddy.

Reply to
Eddy Bentley

You will no doubt see a lot of pro and anti Dyson stuff here. I have a Dyson and a Henry. The Dyson is being chucked out...the Henry is a LOT better IMO.

They do a Henry Turbo....about 200 quid, but probably cheaper if you look...

made, IMO, and a very solid product. Halt the price (and less) without the turbo head!

Reply to
Bob Eager

And I have a Dyson - DC07 and it's faaaaaantastic! I also have a Vax and it's rubbish compared to the Dyson - it's a wet & dry Vax, and an older model, so possibly not a good comparison anyway.

However, if you want a cheap Dyson look in good 2nd hand or charity shops. In Devon theres a group called Devon Furniture Forum

who sell refurbished Dysons at knock-down prices - eg. you can get the DC07 I have with the hepa filter for £60 or less ...

We got ours serviced by a Dyson engineer recently and it made a huge difference to it too. They come to you and do a full service including parts for about £55.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 19:53:18 GMT, Eddy Bentley mused:

Pretty much. Many people don't realise this and will only use cylinder cleaners and then wonder why the carpets look shabby.

Most people will slate a Dyson just because theirs broke. Usually Dysons break because people don't actually empty them or clean the filters. When they stop sucking up everyone tells them they're crap so they bin them.

IMO you won't go far wrong with a Dyson.

Reply to
Lurch

To be fair there is a sticker on my Dyson which says 100% suction, 100% of the time, which simply isn't true as the suction is gradually reducing after filter changes. Anyway I think it is s**te because if you suck up anything larger than a dust particle it blocks up due to the ridiculous journey taken from the floor to the jug. It is an older one newer ones may be better.

We have an Electrolux Loopie, it rocks my world. Obviously I haven't used it personally but after the bint has run round the living room with it the carpet looks like new.

Reply to
R D S

I have a DC04 and while it performs very well the build quality sucks big time. I am considering replacing it ,and I very much doubt I will by another Dyson.

Reply to
Adrian Chapman

On the surface....

I know a couple who (at the time) had two Labrador dogs and a maintained 'Oreck' upright vacuum sweeper, the wife was then diagnosed as asthmatic so they decided to take up the a neighbours offer to try out their Dyson (before buying one), being some what sceptical about Dysons marketing claims - what we did was to change the bag on the Oreck and then vacuum the carpets through out the house, they then re vacuumed the carpets using the (emptied but existing filters) Dyson, from what was collected by the Dyson you would have though that the carpets had not seen a cleaner of any type for a week! If I had not seen it with my own eyes I would still be as sceptical about Dysons claims as I was before...

Also the 'lady of the house' has less asthmatic problems whilst vacuuming with a Dyson than with other vacuum cleaners.

Reply to
:Jerry:

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 21:29:04 +0100, "R D S" mused:

Yeah, I have no idea how they've managed to push that ridiculous statement for so long.

Reply to
Lurch

Don't know about that model but we have a Dyson root cyclone upright (dunno what model number it is) and I've just given it it's last service. There is only so many times I can be bothered to pull it apart and poke bent bits of wire up it to try to remove the blockages.

Sure, with clean filters and no blockages it sucks like a sucky thing but build quality also sucks - and it's sooooo noisy.

I'm replacing our dyson the next time it stops working well with a Miele cat and dog with the power brush. My parents have one and it's great. Powerful, quiet and small. Advantages of a cylinder but with a

*powered* (as in motor, not crap air driven thing like the dysons) brush head.

Not that expensive either if compared to dysons.

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Took a long time for someone to mention Miele.

Incidentally - upright vacuums usually have a motor driven (belt drive) brush. Happy with my Dyson DC07 - but I take care of household appliances.

Reply to
John

All I can say is..... I have a Dyson DC01 (I think) the original "cylinder" model which is still going strong though now it's been rigged up to the attachment on my B&D Electric plane with ductape after the 2nd handle broke.

I still love it and it's great for picking up sawdost and screws on the garage floor as there's no bag to puncture. Completely crap for plaster dust but then so is the Henry.

Also have an upright "root cyclone" thing with a spinning brush for the shop floor. It's OK but useless for doing the stairs with the stretchy pipe and "wand" as the pipe tries to suck it's self into the vacuum and won't stretch when switched on.

Also... scares the bejeebers out of you if you have a rug with tassels and go too close with the brush!

OK for pet hairs on carpets but the "turbo brush" that came with it is also a waste of time as it packed up after a month or 2.

Also have a Henry and a James. Both well used and abused. Henry is better as the internal cable winding keeps it nice and tidy.

We don't have carpets in the house so a wild spinning brush is not required.

Spinning brushes are great when new but get worn out and clogged with cotton and christmas tinsel very quickly.

My Choice... Ummmm everything has it's pro's and cons, but I guess Henry or one of his brothers would be first choice for most situations.

HTH Pete

--

Equipment & Gym Equipment. Life Fitness Stuff with an extra 13% discount through July! Just quote Petes 13% offer! ;¬)

Reply to
GymRatZ

Get a SEBO. Best vac on the market - reliable, effective and IME maintenance-free.

Best vac we've ever had. Not the cheapest - until you realise how long they last...!

Reply to
Martin

I have one of the previous generation of Miele machine before it was marketed for cat and dog applications, and that came complete with the beats-as-it-sweeps-as-it-cleans head as well as hard and wooden floor brushes.

Works very well and I'd certainly buy another.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Agreed

Reply to
Steve Walker

GymRatZ wrote in news:%GVgi.13528$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Must also have the cleanest hovel on uk.d-i-y.....

mike

Reply to
mike

I have a Miele Cat And Dog. Sucks more than the wife ever did, and its a fantastic well built cleaner.

Pricey mind, but worth every penny

Reply to
Millan

This is the oldest ploy in the book, used by Kirby & Vorverk salesmen to convince the punter.

Think about it! You will always get more out the second time you vacuum! If you reversed the experiment & used the Dyson first, then the Oreck you would get the same results!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I had 30 years experience in the cleaning machine trade and I agree 100%. Best upright on the market bar none.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Don't waste your money on a Die Soon (as they are known in the repair trade). Get a Henry with an electric power brush

The Medway Handyman

What am I missing in your logic - kindly explain, as it would appear to be a dumb question that requires short easy to understand words :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson