Dyson SUCKS!

Yes.

Reply to
S Viemeister

For a domestic machine they are near the top of the list and against a bagged machine don't lose suction.

The biggest vacuum I've used was a semi-industrial one that Dad hired when we wanted to remove 50+ years of accumulated dirt and dust before boarding out the loft. Two motors, individually switched, they had to be as turning both on together blew the plug top fuse. This thing would pick up full sized bricks...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My Sebo doesn't lose suction.

Reply to
Huge

Agreed. We have one and it's brilliant.

Reply to
Huge

Yes it does. but not by much. The bags last ages, mine is about three years old and I am on my 6th bag. I prefer a vac where you don't have to empty it every day like you need to with dysons. The only issue is the vac gets heavier as the bag fills and it can hold a kilo or three of dirt.

Reply to
dennis

Richard Russell wrote on Aug 28, 2012:

That's for upright vacuum cleaners. For cylinders Miele came top, just above Numatic and Bosch

Reply to
Mike Lane

The point here is what suction do the machines start out with?

I reckon a Henry with a half full bag would still out perform a Die Soon.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Well having actually owned a Henry and a DC04 the DC04 has more suction than the Henry even with a brand new bag in the Henry. Even the Earlex wet 'n dry has more suction than the Henry(*), has a capacity at least double the Henry and costs half as much and will do wet if required.

(*) When the filter is clean, plaster or wood sanding dust will clog it but will also clog the bag in the Henry. Henry bags aren't reuseable with a fair bit of faffing about. ie no clip holding an end closed so they can be emptied.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've just bought my fourth Henry(ish). Apart from one lost in a burglary, they're all still working. Two have lasted over ten years so far. The only repairs have been new filters and one new hose where someone drove over it. One caught fire(!) and apart from a burned filter, it survived.

Parents went through two Dysons within a year.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I never use my Earlex wet. The filter rots a week afterwards. Otherwise it's a decent workshop vac.

The vacuum I have most of is the Aldi fireplace emptier (three of those). Tin bucket and decent build quality, it's excellent for building into a router table or bandsaw as per-machine dust collection, especially if you give it a cyclone up front. Maybe a bit noisy for bandsaws.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

On my ancient Rowenta W&D, you remove the bag and filter before using it wet. It has a float which prevents water getting into the actual motor. Why would you need a filter when lifting water?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah, you prefer a vac that doesn't pick up very much, then. If the Dyson needs emptying, it's because it's picked a lot of stuff up, geddit? Simples!

Reply to
Tim Streater

It's not a question of them "agreeing". In the course of the discussions the newbie can learn what the salient points are and make their own mind up based on what suits them.

Not in my book it doesn't.

I'll send the relly round to yours to reason with you :-)

Reply to
Tim Streater

The only current Which? Best Buys for vacs are Miele (14 models), Bosch (3), Dyson (7) and Sebo (1).

Rob

Reply to
RJH

I prefer one that picks stuff up and doesn't then spread it about.

Reply to
dennis

I still have my parents one, and still works fine - over 50 years and never serviced, although very rarely used now.

What did tend to happen to these is that the various seals gradually started leaking, resulting in progressively less suction over time, but that hasn't happened to this one, and it still hovers nicely like a hovercraft. At some point, a new hose was bought, because I have two of them, one having been repaired.

The only thing wrong is the cable grommet and strain relief is made of some type of rubber which is going crumbly, but that's just cosmetic. It has the odd scratch and dent, some due to myself and my brother using it as a large frictionless puck to propel up and down the parents long hallway when we were children.

You can still get them, and the motor inlet filter sheets, or at least you could quite recently.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That may be the case for some, but others will simply be confused and want more positive guidance. The sort Which provides.

I don't know much about their present stuff, but it was certainly once the case. I recently repaired one of their '70s tuner/amps and it performed extremely well.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

To be fair, that might be the case. As I am not a subscriber that could well be all I have had visibility of.

Mathew

Reply to
mathewjamesnewton

I've got one of those too. Ought to scrap it though - noisiest vacuum I've ever had. It used to run the cyclone in my router table (now replaced by an Aldi) and I could hear it over the router.

For lifting water I have pumps. I use a wet vacuum to lift stripped wallpaper, manky leaves or other damp solids. These need a filter too.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In article , The Medway Handyman writes

:-) I think a beer or two takes priority.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson