Dyson's at it again.

The Medway Handyman

Huge

less than six of his upright vacuum cleaners were lined up.

I thought that more of a testomony to his products than anything else.

Roger -R

Reply to
Roger R

It's the same at my local tip....Dyson's Corner, it's know as...

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

In message , The Medway Handyman wrote

£650 will it pay for itself before it self disrupts.?
Reply to
Alan

Dyson Airblade =A3549 + VAT

Automatic Hand Drier =A389.99 inc VAT
Normally I'm a great fan of innovative, high quality products (I bought a miele washing machine and love it), but I'd have thought by now most people would've figured Dyson products lack durability considering their very much premium pricing. Every single Dyson vacuum cleaner owner I've asked, has commented on how the little bits break quickly and how it's generally too flimsy for its job.

Reply to
dom

In message , " snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com" writes

out there for much less than the Dyson gadget, one I encountered this year in Devon dried my hands in under 20 seconds, the skin on my hands looked like it was being subjected to 9G acceleration force!!

Umm, not me.... Mine's had over the 8 or so years;

1 Replacement hose, supplied free under warranty 1 Replacement Wand because I managed to destroy the handle (can't believe any other vac would have survived it either) 1 new motor July this year. 1 new set of brushes, general wear and tear

Total parts cost just under £70 for eight years of at least three times a week use, pretty good in my book and it's still working just fine.

I am lead to believe the newer models are more flimsy but given that most consumer grade vacs last around 2 years I'd have no problem trying a Dyson again when this one finally gives up the ghost.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Nor me - ours did have a belt changed once though, after we'd jammed someting in the brushes...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

'Real' uprights have a clutch to prevent that :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You wanna see the back room in a domestic appliance repair shop!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Our Zebo has been going 10 years with routine maintenance. And it's half the price of a Dyson.

Reply to
Huge

The message from "The Medway Handyman" contains these words:

So do Dysons. At least, mine has.

Reply to
Guy King

I have issues with the cleanliness of the unit.

The fact that you have to lower your hands into the unit the chance of touching the upper/lower/both sides seems highly likely. If the previous user(s) have not been particularly thorough in washing hands in the first place the probability of cross contamination seems rather high - negating all the other claimed plus points of the dryer.

Which is all a bit pointless anyway because of the amount of filth that lurks on the bog door handle that you have to pull with your nice clean hands on the way out!

Slurp

Reply to
Slurp

I've often wondered if there's anyone else bothered by this. I'm not 'Howard Hughes crazy' bothered by it, to the extent of wrapping the handle in tissues or anything, but it always bothers me a little.

Reply to
Grunff

I think that's why the tip puts the Dyson's to one side...some geezer buys 'em all for spares.

Me, I buy the Panasonics and Hoovers etc. for a fiver that people who've bought Dysons chuck away.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Not the experience of any of the ones in my family. I originally bought a DC04 for the house, but it got stolen for clearing up building rubble as it worked so much better than anything else. The most punishing dust load, a plaster chaser's exhaust, which a Henry doesn't come close to dealing with, is handled by the Dyson brilliantly, and continuously.

The house now has a DC07, and as does my parents' house and my brother's, having seen how brilliant it is. None have broken, and continue to work extremely well.

I agree about the price. I've bought 4 of them for myself and others, but have never paid even half the normal price. If you aren't in a hurry, keep an eye out for special offers, either in closing down sales, or when a newer model is coming out.

I wish someone produced a cyclone cleaner as rebust as a Henry, but it's pretty much impossible for anyone other than Dyson to produce a cyclone vacuum cleaner. He owns all the patents related to getting cyclones working efficiently in the small size of a portable vacuum cleaner, with the result that other manufacturer's cyclone cleaners are remarkably useless in comparison.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Given how many people don't wash their hands after using the lavatory, I think you're right to be a little concerned. I certainly am, and I was a biochemist/microbiologist in a previous life.

Reply to
Huge

this. I'm not

Me too. That's the point of the automatic taps & hand dryers with IR sensors School bogs are guaranteed infested with threadworm eggs, hospitals with MRSA and similar.

Reply to
Aidan

Industrial/commercial vacs have used the cyclone principle for 40+ years. That's the reason almost all are circular and have inlet spigots that point to one side instead of being straight or pointing downwards.

The motor produces a vortex of air spinning in the same direction as the fan, the inlet points sideways in that same direction causing heavier dust particles to drop to the bottom of the bin thus keeping the filter cleaner for lomger.

Have a look at this superb American machine developed years ago

click on BP RANGER.

To Mr Dysons credit, he has sold the concept to the public brilliantly, but the 'no loss of suction' argument is not valid.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Dysons do, with an audiable alarm so you know it's happened.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel