dyson dc07 repair

Hi,

I bought a secondhand Dyson dc07 from that auction site. I can't get the handle to tilt. You are supposed to put your foot on the base plate and pull back on the handle but this one doesn't want to budge. I had the vacuum sitting in my garage for months before I looked at it, so it's too late to complain to the seller now!

What is likely to be the problem and what is the cure?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

I find it somewhat amusing when the subject of Dyson vacs come up ... so many people say I love them, I'm on my third etc.

It seems that people take the hype, poor build quality & unreliability as acceptable ? If I buy a product that is crap .. fails in early life, I never buy from that mnfctr again.

BTW - I have a central vac in my place, beats the pants of any standard vac.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I.e. the cure is ABD?

Reply to
Gib Bogle

It's a Dyson.

Throw it away and buy a proper vacuum cleaner.

Reply to
Huge

Last place I stayed with vacuum points on the walls had matching O2 points also.

Reply to
Graham.

If you are anywhere near Suffolk, there's a man who refurbs the bloody things. Has all the spares and will p-ex for a second hand one that works. Vacs'R'Us or summat.

Bit south of Bury st. eds.

Worth a phone call anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There's a grove around the bottom of the motor casing and a sprung cam on the base which runs in it. The grove has a notch at the end, which the cam runs over to hold it upright. Maybe it won't slide over the notch?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yeah, me too. Which is why since my DC01 is still running fine after nearly 20 years, we bought one of their battery models for doing tops of pictures etc.

The only hype I come across w.r.t Dysons is fatheads on this ng.

Reply to
Tim Streater

He just can't see the wood for the trees.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

My DC01 hasn't even needed a new belt, and I've had it almost as long as you've had yours.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Actually, I don't think they are that badly made, and many peoples do not fall to bits or break in fact, its because people like the way they work and hate the cost that those that do fail are worth fixing. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

People do not seem to be being that helpful, all I'll say is that a friend had a Dyson upright, but don't know what model it was and that worked a bit differently to how you describe, ie, you pushed the handle forward, then pressed the plate, there was a click and you could bring it back ok. Are you sure this is not the case here? Otherwise I don't know I have a Vax!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

£60 will get you a full service from a dyson man. Will replace anything apart from accessories. Not sure what they'd do if he turned up to find only a handle though :)
Reply to
mogga

And have you wondered who actually pays for this service ...

Reply to
Huge

On ours the detachable hose split and was replaced, and I redid the mains cable at the point where it enters the machine. Nothing else.

Reply to
Tim Streater

YAY!!!!!!!! A DYSON THREAD!

Me too: nearly 20 years with a DC01.

2 years ago I bought another in a car boot sale for £10, which so far has supplied me with one spare (ftr: the detachable hose wand cracked). I use the car-boot one in the garage.

As for fixing the DC07 in the OP's post: DC07 way too advanced for me, but my experience with the DC01 is that careful disassembly often solves problems.

When I've watched various friends hoick out their vacuum cleaner and subject it to some more abuse, I wonder if it's not so much the manufacturer, as the user, who causes failures :-)

J.

Reply to
Another John

Agreed - some people are really rough with things. Eg: Closing drawers; Turining off taps. Thumping plugs when inserting them, tugging a car door handle two or three times to check it is locked,etc. My DC07 is fine. Only the little tube underneath replaced so far. The Hoover Constellation went to the tip recently as it was a bit rusty after being left in the garage.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

But in the eyes of some, that they need repair is proof that they are total shit.

Those with Henrys/Sebos/Mieles/Panasonics have been using them for over 300 generations with nothing ever going wrong. Indeed if you look closely at the Bayeux Tapestry you can see someone with a Henry/Sebo/Miele/Panasonic spouting about how Dysons are heavy unreliable and lack suck.

(DC01 x2 from 1993, two cable reterminations / maybe three belts between them and a cracked handle after one fell end over end down the stairs. Not bad for nearly 20 years use every day)

Reply to
The Other Mike

Perhaps someone has disassembled it for maintenance, and not put it back together quite right?

There are lots of guides on the web showing how to disassemble and re-assemble them, and only basic tools are required, so it might be worth having a go at a DIY repair.

Reply to
MrWeld

Our DC04 of over 10 years is still going strong, just one Dyson service for their fixed fee. No other spares required like bags, belts etc... Should this one die I'll buy another, cleans far better than any other vacuum cleaner I have owned, they have all failed and gone to the dump.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice