Dyson DC07

Page 2 of 2

[28 lines snipped]

Negligble and not unreasonable.
IMM wrote:

I assume that when Microsoft make their first vacuum cleaner, it will be the only thing they have ever made that doesn't suck?
On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 12:55:55 -0000, "John"

My uncle fixes vacs for a living and reckons the DC07 is not the same quality as the previous models... moved production abroad by any chance?
Henry rules! ;-)
Mark S.

Yes. The day I see Dyson being used by contract cleaners is the day I'll think them decent value.
--
*Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy *

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 01:34:50 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

http://www.constantmax.com/range/feature_frame.asp?model=CMAX
See what happens with this one then :) -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs
> My uncle fixes vacs for a living and reckons the DC07 is not the same

Hopefully it has improved then. A few more moves and they may be worth considering.
I always make a point of telling anyone I see in Currys (or wherever) looking at a Dyson not to bother and to buy a proper model.
Brian

There was a bit of a furore about 12 months ago IIRC because they moved manufacuring from Wales to the far east. Lots of bad press at the time.
They tried all the usual excuses like "we`ve got to do it or the costs will close us down", but in truth, they`d been based in Wales from the start, now had bigger share of the marketplace, and had been happy with the return from the sales with manufacturing based here - it had been enough to grow them from nothing to a major player.
Its all down to greed.

I have a DC01 - bog standard simple one, and the only problem we`ve ever had was a belt burning out - because there was a sock jammed around the spinny thing :-)
We`ve been quite happy with it, and it works far better than the upright electrolux it replaced.
On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 10:17:10 -0000, "Brian Reay"

I hope you explain why to them. -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs

taken
I had loss of suction and smell of burning after 15 months. A whole new suction unit/bin solved the problem. Apparently there was a manufacturing defect with the cyclone tubes - there were rough edges from the casting, and dirt builds up where you can't get in to clean it (well you can with a hose, but that's not part of the normal maintenance!).
A couple of weeks ago the smell of burning returned, together with a popping sound (like electrical arcing). Motor was burnt out - I wonder whether the earlier problem was the root cause?
Luckily, my guarantee (2 years) doesn't expire until next Feb, but it does make you wonder - our previous Electrolux lasted 10 years no probs, then a Panasonic lasted 8 years with no probs (I still use it in the garage and for decorating as the Dyson doesn't like plaster dust).
--
Alan Shilling
Remove packaging from e-mail address before replying
John wrote:

We've got a DC04 that we've had since 2000 that is used for cleaning cars, carpets, stairs, hard floors and furniture. It's also been used for cleaining up brick and plaster dust when I've been installing surface mount electrical boxes and cat 5 sockets.
Never had a single problem with it except I broke the stair tool once when I trod on it. They sent another under guarantee.
I bought the air-powered stair tool with brush-bar thingy and that is fabulous.
And the noise of the machine scares the shit out of the cat.

How often did you change the filter ? Dont say never because plaster dust bungs up everything including Dysons :-)
Steve
I replaced the hose on the girl-friend's DC04 (methinks) . Quite an mystic art to get the bleedin' thing off. New hose was pricey-ish 25+. But girlfriend would not be parted from her DC04 (think those hilarious OMO / Daz two for one adverts of the 1970's)