Dyson DC01 repair challenge!

Hi all,

A mate was cleaning his shop yesterday with a Dyson DC01 that he was given that apparently had been handed across a few people before it got to him.

He mentioned that it had no suck up the hose / wand part and several diy type folk have looked at it but not been able to fix it? (Ok, on the main floor part, no suck from the flexi tube).

So of course it's now in the boot of my car awaiting 5 mins for me to give it a look.

So, a couple of questions ..

1) Are parts availiable mail order etc and if so anyone got a link to a reliable one please?

2) Any predictions on what may be the fault and therefore what parts (cost) might be needed please?

The person(s) who correctly diagnose the correct faut get a free go on the thing when it's fixed (and huge respect from this list of course!)!

All the best ...

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I believe (with the usual "I may be wrong because someone's bound to make it their life's work to prove me wrong" proviso) that only Dyson themselves sell the bits:

2) Any predictions on what may be the fault and therefore what parts

I assume you've checked *both* filters? They get seriously clogged up if you 'oovering dust.

No ta :o)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Should have added: If the filters are bunged it seems to affect the wand more then the main sucky bit.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

are complicated instructions about how to dismantle the whole thing to look for blockages in the wand part in the above manual.

I have to say though that IME of the DC-01 they were just plain CRAP and lots of people found them nothing but trouble!

ROSIE

Reply to
Rosie

among others..

*If* it's sucking via the base but not via the hose then it'll be a blockage somewhere, (or possibly a leak).

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

Ours has been fine for...more years than I care to remember.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Have a look at the flap valve at the bottom, this is opened when the tube is pushed down and should be sucked up when the tube is removed and the power is on. I have often known a hair pin or similar to hold this open.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

In message , T i m writes

Impossible, if you believe the Dyson advert

Well the obvious answer is either a blockage in the hose (or at the base of it) or a blocked filter. (Does it have a separate filter for the hose?)

Have you tried blowing down the hose ?

Err... I'll pass on that offer - I don't do hoovering

Reply to
geoff

You left out the word "expensive" there

Reply to
geoff

My thoughts exactly .. ;-)

I *think* the 'obvious answer' has been checked by the couple of folk who have been before me re 'fixing' this thing.

(Does it have a separate filter for the

Not sure (don't think so) but I've bought some new ones today before I waste time 'fixing' it ;-)

Em, no. Not had chance to touch it at all yet .. maybe tomorrow ..

Fair enough Geoff .. but if you change your mind .. :)

T i m

Oh, and thanks for the 'stripdown' link (very handy)

Reply to
T i m

I have the same problem with my Dyson, so I would love to hear the solution

Reply to
rition

My local Curries has a vast display of them - which should act like a warning to intended purchasers. So I'd assumed all do.

Reply to
Dave Plowman