Dyson Cylinder Vac - Problem?

Long shot this one ..... We have a Dyson cylinder vac (DC05) which has been performing well over the past three years. However, now the exhaust air coming from the motor (through the hole where the cable enters the cable reel) is very hot. It feels a bit like a fan heater output now! The air coming out has always been "warm" as one would expect but now it's getting hot, almost uncomfortable to the touch. Also the cable & plug eventually get quite warm. A couple of weeks ago I had to fit a new plug because the cable had broken where it enters the moulded plug. Everything looks fine with the replacement, it's got a 13A fuse so I don't think that causes the problem. Suction appears to be normal as well. Anyone got thoughts on this one? I have also asked Dyson the question but that may take a while. Perhaps the motor is end of life? I am not really comfortable with opening up the machine ..... Many thanks, Klaus - High Wycombe

Reply to
Carl Muller

Sounds like a blocked filter. Have you checked them? Because they hardly ever need attention with regular house dust, people often forget them completely. I don't know the DC05, but dig out the instructions and check all the filters. If it's like the DC04 in this respect, the main filter is washable under the tap, but leave it to dry completely in a warm place before putting it back in again. It could also be a partially blocked hose or pipe -- again check them all following the instructions.

Motor failure usually results in the motor slowing down and/or generating a burning smell, neither of which you have described. However, leaving it to run too hot could well cause motor failure eventually. There is a thermal cut-out, but don't rely on it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

--- snip

Klaus, Two years ago Dyson - had a maximum charge for callout and repair.

NB a MAXIMUM charge.

It was about £50 then - they came to us and renewed everything that was wrong with the machine for that price.

Didn't seem too unreasonable to me - we ended up with a virtually new machine!!! :-)

Are they not still operating that facility..

Roy

Reply to
RzB

I think you are spot on. Removed my washable filter and all was OK.

Reply to
Saxman

Roy, thanks for the hint - they do offer a service for £55+VAT. The website gives all the details

However, as recommended by another poster I have now washed the filter (never done in 3 years!). It took four rinses before the water stayed clear - they are now drying and hopefully it might make a difference. I found the original receipt @ £117 so it might just be economical to go for that offer. Thanks, Klaus

Reply to
Carl Muller

Yes, £55, see

Phil Anthropist

Never washed the filter in three years !! It's now drying out - I'll try in the morning. Klaus

Reply to
Carl Muller