dyson cable

Hi,

I took the advice of some of the people here and bought a dyson for diy use. The recommendations seemed to be for a dc04 or dc07. So I went to that auction site and the prices were pretty much the same so I've bought a second hand dc07.

I notice that the cable is melted. I guess the previous owner stored it too close to a hot iron. Reading the side of the cable it says

2x1.0mm^2. That's a shame as I don't have any of that lying around; I'll have to buy some.

Is it fairly straightforward to unscrew the vacuum and connect the new wire inside?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

On the Dyson uprights I've had apart, very starightforward. The cable's terminated in spade connectors usually.

Reply to
Scott M

Why not chop the damaged bit off and fit the plug to a shortened lead then use it with an extension lead that your are bound to have(?) in the workshop.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Too simple ;)

TBH I hadn't thought of that but sod's law says the burn will be nearer the vacuum than the plug end, so I may end up with a very short lead. SWMBO would like to try it round the house, so I think I need to replace it completely. I think the long lead is a "feature" to allow you to vacuum the whole house without having to keep unplugging it.

This 2-core 1.0mm^2 seems rare stuff. One web site says 1.0mm^2 flex is rated 10A another web site said 15A, that's a big difference. Which is right?

I'm sure Dyson charge £££ for their grey cable but the only colour I can find at TLC is white.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Fred

ITYF that white cable is just about as effective as grey. 8-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I rewired a vac., with a longer flex, about 15 years ago and needed the correct conductor /and/ OD (just made the job a lot simpler). I found that the bright orange stuff for garden tools was spot on and tougher than ordinary flex. It is convenient to be able to do the house from one outlet. George does that but the new Nilfisk has to be moved twice :-(

Reply to
PeterC

Unless electrickery has changed recently, cable will work in either direction, so you should still have a long length even if you have to move the plug too. Murphy, of course, will have thought of this, and the burn will be in the middle.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

Must be small houses. I don't think I could do that here even picking a centralish socket and a using 25m extension. Some of the paths the cable would have to take are quite convoluted.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Any colour you like so long as it's white.

10 A.

Normal PVC flex ratings are

CSA /mm^2 A

--------- --

0.5 3 0.75 6 1.0 10 1.25 13 1.5 16
Reply to
Andy Wade

I've never actually examined the core detail of Dyson "flex" but it does seem to be much more flexible than your average B&Q-style offerings. For a flex to be regularly wrapped around storage hooks on the machine will place a rather inordinate stress on parts of it.

It might be worth while looking for scrapped Dyson machines in skips etc to recycle the flex - you might even find an appropriate colour, e.g. purple.

I've had a DC01 "Absolute+" upright cleaner for ages (perhaps ten years or more) and the only replacements have been filters, a belt and the wand. I've never (famous last words? !) had any bother with flex or switches, which most people seem to whinge about.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I've had my DC01 for more than 12 years - so far, I've only had to replace filters. I have had it apart, though, due to it being used to suck up still-damp bits of stripped wallpaper...

Reply to
S Viemeister

That might be the extra-flexible grade with more plasticiser in the PVC and Class 6 conductors (0.15 mm strands as opposed to the usual 0.2 mm - see BS 6360). Highly unlikely that you'll find that on a distributor's shelves, and the manufacturers tend to have MOQs of 5 or 10 km for such 'specials'.

Inspect carefully before re-use...

Reply to
Andy Wade

Some industrial suppliers carry it (even RS or Farnell?) as I've bought it before in 50m /100m reels for tool cables. Not in Dyson purple though!

The Dyson cable problem seems to be poor strain relief entering the housing. The failure rate is thus presumably dependent on whether you carry the thing, or drag it around by its cable.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In article , PeterC writes

Sure is. I recently replaced the cable on my DC01 with a 7 metre one. It's white, but who cares?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I hadn't though of turning the cable around, thanks but as you said, it turns out to be in the middle. How did you know, did you sell it to me ;)

Reply to
Fred

Thanks, that's what I had thought. Looks like a mistake in the TLC catalogue: the web site is right but the paper version is wrong.

Reply to
Fred