Dyeing grey squirrel fur insitu

Looking out of the patio window, I observed one of the many local grey squirrel scounderals tearing up the flower pots.

Since I meself am not a squirrel, and not even of a related species, whenever I look at one of them unfortunately I can't tell the difference between one fiend and another. At an identity line on charges for criminal wosits to flower pots, it would be difficult to nab the correct critter.

I'm thinking of integrating into the garden a spray device with a colour marker. Hair dye maybe? What do they use for tagging sheep?

Reply to
Adrian C

foxes?

Reply to
Vass

When you say "tagging sheep" I presume you don't mean tags as such considering what you said before ....They use aerosol stuff I believe but with squirrels that might be difficult seeing as they are quick wee devils . How about a paintball gun?

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Paintball.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Ah yes, not the metal tag clips on the ear, but colours that tell which farmer owns which sheep.

....They use aerosol stuff I believe

Hmmm... Mentioned that to the lady. A mistake, now been sent to ponder on other things.

Stand down chaps :-(

Reply to
Adrian C

Better a shotgun with coloured pellets.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

admittedly at a tangent, years ago we thought a rat or two was troubling the bins etc so baited the plastic bin with rat bait (some sort of a moulded shape rather than loose grain - I forget the name/ brand).

I was most surprised passing the bin one morning that a feckin squirrel stuck his head out and promptly sat atop the bin bait in hands nibbling away! Needless to say said activity ceased shortly thereafter ..... result!

Tell the wife the blue coloured (bait) blocks will dye their fur to aid ID.....?

:>) JimK

Reply to
JimK

How about a gun which shoots bullets?

Reply to
alan.holmes

What a good idea, I use a trap and dispose of the buggers so they don't come back, I prefer to catch and kill the females, as killing one of those means several hundreds if not thousands will not be born!

Reply to
alan.holmes

I wouldn't bother with one of those, just get a trap and kill the buggers.

Reply to
alan.holmes

Raddle. Smear a bit on something right by the food so it gets ont heir fur. I'm not sure what it would achieve though.

Might be better to put sticks or mesh in the pots to make access difficult for them, then they'll take an easier food source.

NT

Reply to
NT

Readers! Plagued by chavvy grey squirrels? Simply smear them with raddle and make the neighbours think that your tree-rats are the posh sort!

Also available in striped Harry Hill "That's not a rat, it's a baby badger" colours.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

They do for the ownership marks but there is also a powder/solid that is tied around the waist or applied to the belly of a ram to mark the back of the ewes.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You should be aware that the coloured patches on the rumps of ewes (female sheep) are not to indicate ownership, but mating (which tup had the duty). There are several ways of doing the marking, one popular way is to equip the tup with marker on his chest, so that when he mounts...

Could you not equip your flower pots with some marker?

Personally, I'd just shoot any grey squirrel you see. Leave the Red ones alone though.

Now if you find a way of stopping grey squirrels from mating you are a very very rich man indeed!

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Brilliant. Not that expensive either :)

{Hah, I've often thought about colouring my black hair bright blue for a laugh. That the product? )

I'm not sure what it would achieve though.

It's just us wondering whether we in an urban garden are overrun with the blighters or if there are just a few that repeatedly make it back to our patio to dig up bulbs. If I could mark and identify one, I could give it a name ...

Reply to
Adrian C

They are determined little buggers - even when food isn't short. I sometimes put out those fat balls for the birds - and despite them being in a very well attached strong cage they'll spend ages trying to get to them. I've got more of a problem with foxes who love to s**t in the front garden. Gawd knows what it must be like living in the country. [shudder] ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, they go for lambs.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

s'ok out here - the foxes like "towny's" leftover curries, pizzas, Nigella c*ck-ups (as it were) :>)

BTW the shit on the lawn is their bit for recycling your waste crap...stick it on your roses or chuck it in your neighbours garden - now thems proper "towny ways".:>)

Cheers

Reply to
JimK

Plenty of space out in the country so the foxes don't have to shit in the few square yards that are nominally a garden.

B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have a cage known as a Squirrel Trap. If you want it, cost of postage and a tenner it's yours. Bait trap, (Peanuts etc) catch critter, examine while in cage (For later I.D), spray with food colouring. Take to local park/rec/riverbank..... Release. Solved

Reply to
Me Here