dvd recorder

hi can someone help me with the following we want to get rid of our old video and replace it with a dvd recorder, we went round the usuall high street outlets, but when i asked for a dvd recorder that was compatable with surround sound speakers i was told that no one manufactures a surround sound compatible dvd recorder. are they available elswhere? or is there another way to make a normal dvd recorder work with surround sound speakers?

thanks andy

Reply to
andrewd909

snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

Unless I've got it wrong, this is ruggish.

Try uk.tech.digital-tv for a more intellectual answer

:)

mike

Reply to
mike

I would suggest you also look at HDD/DVD combo recorders - their capacity is much greater.

Reply to
OG

JVC manufacture a DVD Recorder cum 5.1 'Home Cinema' set up. The device is a 'THR-1'.

You'd have to purchase this system and ditch your existing set up. { I transferred my 'Home Theater(sic) DVD-player with 5.1 speakers into another room }. My wife insisted that she didn't want yet another 'box' living under the TV set so 'we' purchased the JVC device - off the internet - as a replacement for the DVD player. In practise the set-up is a 'two-box' affair. The DVD Recorder is 'one' box' with a 'data cable' (5 mtrs long) connecting to the Woofer cum Audio amplifiers off which emanate the five speakers. The woofer lives in a bay window alcove. {BTW, it incorporates a RDS FM, and MW radio receiver too.]

The Recorder utilises the DVD-R; -RW; -R protocol. [Brownie points amongst nerds for speaking that as 'dash R' by the way. It's supposed to be DVD (dash) Record. The +R came later and as the vendors couldn't call that system dash-R enunciated theirs as plus R!

It's a nice balance between aesthetics, cost and my presbyter audio acuity frequency response fall-off..

I commend this device to the House!

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Erm! Its the TV that converts the digital signal from what ever digital appliance is fed into it for it to give out SS.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Sounds like you were talking to a moron.

When you say SS compatible DVD recorder, what do you mean? Most of them will output a digital stream that can be decoded to 5.1 analog channels by a dedicated amp (which is how I do it, and probably most other people), but you can buy units that have amps built in, though I'd avoid those personally.

R.

Reply to
Richard Phillips

Thanks for the replies

what we wanted was a dvd/hdd recorder with the sockets on the back so we could just plug in our existing speakers, this is what the sales assistant said was not available, i will investigate the other options

thanks again

Reply to
andrewd909

Personally, I'd get an "AV Receiver", or surround sound amp.

You plug your 5.1 speakers into this, and then just run a single digital connection from your DVD recorder to the receiver.

It's far easier to modify your system in the future (e.g. when everyone starts buying blu-ray, or if something breaks) if you don't have other componentry (e.g. surround sound amps) built-in to something else.

It will also almost certainly have higher quality output with more power than a combi-type device.

Be careful though. There are 2 types of digital connection, optical and coax. Many DVD player/recorders only have one but not both, also many receivers often only have one but not both. If you buy a DVD recorder with coax output and a receiver with optical input...!!

Of course, the more you pay, the more likely your kit will have both connections at each end...

R.

Reply to
Richard Phillips

A DVD player with built in power amps for 5.1? Don't think there's much call for that. It would be pretty massive.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The only "dvd" recorder as such that can record the 5.1 signal from a transmission is the Sky + box, which is a Hard disk unit. From that you can, connect a dvd recorder to the sky box and record onto dvd disc, depending on copy protection. Alternatively you can record the 5.1 directly to a dvd disc via your PC.

Unfortunatly there is no dedicated dvd recorder that can record the 5.1 signal.

All new dvd recorders can however play 5.1 and dts

Jon

Reply to
jon

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think they broadcast Dolby Digital 5.1 (I'm referring to Freeview, is it different with Sky?), I thought it was Dolby Digital 2.0?

*Any* decent PVR (e.g. Humax) can record the digital transmission directly if we are talking about Freeview here!

Are you sure about that? I know a couple of years ago, DTS support was a bit hit n miss? Maybe things have improved here...

R.

Reply to
Richard Phillips

Yes, yes and yes

all dvd recorders can only record the digital 2.0 signal. Only sky and the cable companies transmit the 5.1 signal and only the sky + can record/encode it to it's hard drive. There will be a new generation coming out with the enhanced recording capacity (blu ray) which will also be able to record the

5.1 siganl, but this is at least 12 months away and will be quite expensive.

As you can imagine the major film studios are against greater recording capacity to disc and 5.1 decoding/encoding for obvious reasons.

Reply to
jon

Ok, I didn't know that Sky transmitted 5.1. As you say, I can see why the film studios might not be too keen on this!

R.

Reply to
Richard Phillips

snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:

The salesman is right; now I've got the point.

You can get DVD players with built in surround sound rigs (or more accurately #surround sound rigs with DVDplayer added, ditto surround sound with added radio tuner, or surround sound amp only, I think with or without speakers, but usually as a kit

mike

Reply to
mike

It's a very certain/obstinate/opinionated {strike out words as appropriate] that peppers statements about the rapidily changing world of consumer electronics with phrases such as "only ... "

Never say 'no' with such emphasis, 'my' JVC DVD 'Home Theatrer(sic) cum recorder has the capability of recording the 5.1 audio encoding off the Sky(+) box if the audio stream is supplied to it via an opitical link from the Sky+ box - and the appropriate settings are made via the menu system to 'Audio Output = Dolby Digital'. Of course this only works for programmes designated [EPG] as DD.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

But who is the one posting upside down and not trimming a single syllable? Physician, heal thyself.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)