Dvd picture problem

Having bought a TV for a property abroad I connected up a dvd player that I had had taken from the UK. I had to buy a scart lead while abroad. The TV picture is great for the local stations. However the picture when I play a dvd has a green hue about it, which I can not get rid of when altering the colour/contrast /brightness. Is it likely that the problem is just that the scart lead is of poor quality and if I buy a better quality scart lead the green hue will disappear? If so any recommendations of which scart lead to use?

Andrew

Reply to
borgmaster

It does sound very much like the SCART lead causing this, and make sure you buy one that says "All Cables Connected" on the packet.

Reply to
BigWallop

Someone told me of a strange experience yesterday - if the DVD is plugged into a VCR it sense it and copy protection does funny things to the colour - it happened on two DVD players. It was fixed by moving the VCR. Could this be the problem here?

Reply to
Hzatph

In message , borgmaster wrote

Make sure that the cable is firmly plugged in at both ends.

From your description one of the connections may be suspect. The line that carries the Blue signal in the Red, Green, Blue (RGB) interconnection is missing.

Even the cheapest SCART lead that supports RGB should work without giving a green colour cast.

It more likely to be that the two halves of the plug/socket are not mated correctly.

The price of a SCART lead usually has little to do with its quality. Reasonable quality fully wired, screened, SCART leads can be purchased for a couple of GBP.

Some leads are so badly designed and the weight and the inflexibly of the cable always seems pulls the plug away from the socket leading to problems such as the one you describe.

Reply to
Alan

Does the dvd's you tried give the same results in a PC dvd player?

Reply to
ben

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 21:53:50 +0000 (UTC),it is alleged that "Hzatph" spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

That sounds possible, what they're talking about is macrovision copy protection, this usually manifests itself as a flickery low brightness image that's unstable, often with flickering colour overcasts.

Reply to
Chip

Are you sure you're not mixing up RGB and S-Video? These sometimes don't self select but have to be set manually on the output of the source and or the input to the TV. On an S-Video bodged SCART, the Chroma is on the Red circuit of RGB.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Flat individually screened scart leads from CPC.

Assuming the lead is OK, have you checked what output the DVD player is set to use on its configuration menu?

It may default to composite, and you would need to change it to RGB if that is what you want.

Note also that even with TVs that will accept RGB, they will not always do it on all scarts (if they have more than one). Finally some TVs will assigne several logical channel numbers to one scart connector to allow choice of composite, S-Video, and RGB inputs. You need to make sure the right one is selected.

Reply to
John Rumm