Duvet storage...

I have two or three complete sets of duvets, pillows and bed linen that only come out when I have guests, maybe 2 or 3 times a year at most.

At the moment they are stored on top of a wardrobe, but I could do with putting them in the loft, however they need to be protected from getting contaminated with loft insulation as there is plenty of it up there, and it would make it very uncomfortable for anyone who would be using the duvet/pillows in future.

What's the best (and cheapest) way to store these in as little space as possible without damage?

Reply to
Jake

Put "vacuum storage bags for duvets" into Google. I've never used them but I know people who have and swear by them.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Lakeland sell suitable zip up bags.

Reply to
charles

I know some who now swear at them :-) There is a slight design issue in that they leak slowly. Put a couple tight packed in an MDF wardrobe and as they leak and expand the force they exert, whilst small per sq inch, is enough to push many wardrobes apart.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Interesting. I have this mental image of (in the OP's case) the roof tiles being pushed off! .-)

A cautionary tale. But not as bad as expending foam.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Dustbin liners - heavy-ish duty (not Pound Shop flimsies) - several layers (Russian doll style) - each with air squeezed out and tied very tightly. Ian

Ian Jackson

In message , Jake wrote

You also need to stop them getting damp and musty/mouldy so make sure they are well aired prior to storing.

One of those large plastic bags that you seal and then suck out all of the air with a vacuum cleaner. Often found a pound stretcher type outlets for a couple of quid. Then double bag inside a black dustbin liner/sack.

Laundry bags made of material similar to a light tarpaulin and they zip up.

Reply to
Alan

If you buy them from Poundland, this isn't a problem because they leak so quickly you won't have time to get them in the wardrobe in the first place...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

*Not* a /black/ bag. Black bag == rubbish. You will only have yourself to blame when somebody helpfully put what you have declared to be rubbish in a bin for you.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Tell me about it... like last summer, when my teen son was getting ready to go to the sailing club where he helps out with weekly teaching - "where's my wetsuit, buouyancy aid, etc etc gone?" "when did you last have it?" "erm, when I brought it back home last week..." grr...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Not a long way away, an old wiry man who was known to read the financial times through 1940-1970 used to have a very large black plastic bag in a wardrobe. When he died suddenly someone took the bag to the tip, only to find on opening it a vast quantity of =A320 notes. The person returned the bag to the relatives who gave them =A31,000 for doing so.

I never worked out how much could be in it, but the broker her used retired the day he found out he had died. The broker died soon after, found drawn with several months of unshaven beard. They were close friends I think from WWII.

It is true about imperfect seal. An alternative is to use a Really Useful Box, there is a 29L version (I think) which is very large except in height. It will fit quite well on a wardrobe or under a bed. Good for storing rolls of wallpaper too. Note the boxes are not sealed and a loft is very hot in summer & rather damp in winter. I would rather sleep in glass wool than a duvet stored in a loft. Might be cheaper to buy 10.5 Tog Microfibre with closed-fibres, these retain insulation even when went, more anti-allergenic and usefully very compact and lightweight making storage a lot simpler than most. They are about =A318 from Amazon or Ebay.

Reply to
js.b1

bin liners

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

LOL! Cheap furniture eh? The Ikea Banga range.

Reply to
grimly4

Place them into bin liners. Use your hands to do this. Open bin liner first. Have you always been a stupid f*ck ?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Bin bags and duct tape. A couple around each. They won't need vacuum packing in the loft.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer