dust masks for glasses wearers?

I'll be starting some rather dusty DIY next week and since I value my lungs, I'm planning on taking some sensible precautions, Since I wear glasses, whenever I've used disposable masks in the past, my glasses have steamed up. I'm willing to put up with this for short periods, but for this longer piece of work I want something better.

What dust masks and suppliers have glasses wearers used in the past? Are non-disposable ones better value/less "steamy", given that I'll probably only use it twice in the next 10 years?

Pete

Reply to
Peter Lynch

What dust?

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

are you permanently baffled ?

what dust ? what's a beeney ? where am I ? LOL

Reply to
.

I use these for dust and vapour:

fine with glasses - just about OK with an axminster visor over the top as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

Can you not reduce the dust at source? PPE is normally considered to be the last resort where protection is required.

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

The above are the best I have found too, and I've struggled with the steamy specs problem for ages.

Depending on how bad the dust is, however, the much cheaper Screwfix no.

19176 may be OK, as long as you carefully mould the top flexible bar closely around your snout to stop hot wet air escaping upwards to steam up your glasses.

I have found the steaminess generally less of a problem since finally binning my large 80s-style specs earlier this year in favour of a minimalist new pair of (mega expensive) Lindbergs.

Reply to
rrh

Are you a f****it?

I asked what dust the OP was considering, it makes a difference.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

what's a f****it ?

indeed it does, so simply asking 'what dust' isn't enough. especially after 'what's a beeney' and the useless 'err' chubb locks reply.

take your time ;-)

Reply to
.

In message , Peter Lynch writes

Have a google, this came up a few months back. I said then the best I found were some fold-flat with valve disposibles. Silverline was one source, toolstation I think the other.

Reply to
Steven Briggs

I'm sure you know.

Why not? The answer to "What dust?" is soft wood, hard wood, glass fibre, asbestos, brick, household... What's your problem?

I know what a Beeney is, I just couldn't make sense of the illiterate posting.

In what sense useless? OP asked for a web site, I gave it.

You should go and have a lie down.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

I'll raise the suggestion I make every time this comes up, which works for me. Get a hosepipe. Connect it up to the tap, and run for 30s (bugs inside are BAD), disconnect, drain, place one end somewhere dust free. Stick one end in mouth, and breath in through it, out through nose.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

fires up f****it detector, waves it at nige, goes off scale.

illiterate ? try harder.

which was already discovered and rejected by the OP ...

you're the one who's got in from work, hit usenet, given several ill considered replies to straightforward posts, had some dinner and, suitably satiated, hit usenet with the benefit of your rapier like wit.

I think /you/ need a lie down in order to get up for work tomorrow.

Reply to
.

Do they have replaceable filters? If not how long between replacements?

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Yes, it does N.M. I shouldn't bother IIWY.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Assuming I'm 'normal', just fine, through 25m hosepipe, with no noticable effort. Ballpark.

1l/s flow, through a 200ml/m or so pipe leads to a flow of around 5m/s.
(I couldn't be bothered finding my textbook) says 40Pa/m, or 1KPa over the whole run. 1% of atmospheric pressure, or 30cm head. Hmm. Seemed less.
Reply to
Ian Stirling

The one I linked to does not, and they suggest replacement after 30 days of use. I susspect they mean 30 full days of constant exposure however. So for the odd few hours here and there they last much longer. If you are only using them for dust protection rather than vapour chances are they will do even longer and still be effective (the one I bought a couple of years ago is still going strong)

There is another version that does take replaceable filters... IIRC Andy Hall posted links to a few of them (and cheap suppliers) a few weeks back - a quick google might be in order.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks guys for the concise and helpful responses. I'll probably add this to my screwfix order.

So far as hosepipes go, it's an interesting idea - but not one that I'll try. Partly because of the hosepipe ban :-) but mainly because I don't fancy the idea of some joker in the family feeding ants or something worse into the "input" end.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Lynch

Well that's where you and I differ. While you are on the 7.30 to Paddington, I shall be tucked up in bed for another hours or so.

Gave up work years ago, didn't like it. Too many irritating people.

Wait a minute...

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Thanks John, it was the fact that they can be worn with glasses and the filters didn't seem to impede vision that interested me, I have a full cartridge respirator but find it inconvenient, the use is for dealing with fly ash.

I'll order one from screwfix for a try.

AJH

Reply to
AJH