Dust extraction on sanders..

I have to sand down some walls. Does dust extraction really work on poer sanders? Will I notice a difference between an old sander and one with dust extraction?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews

Certainly works very well on random orbit sanders, if you attach a vac to a ROS, it picks up almost all of the dust. It works less well on standard orbital sanders, especially on cloggy materials such as plaster.

Reply to
Grunff

Any recommendations to buy? (this is a once in a blue moon type job for me, but I want minimal dust!)

Reply to
Paul Andrews

It depends on how much you want to spend. The Bosch PEX400 is a very nice starting point, at around £50. If you want heavier duty, a bigger pad and less vibration, the Makita 6030 is a nice machine.

?id=35378&ts=23494

Reply to
Grunff

There was a thread on this a month ago:

I found a 2.5m washing maching hose waste can usually be taped easily to the dust extraction outlet and then onto a vacuum hose.

Much lighter and easier to manouvre (sp) than the vacuum hose itself.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Thanks guys for the advice. I've ordered a Bosch PEX400.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews

I have a Performance Pro palm grip ROS and the dust extraction is brilliant. Only uses a small cartridge so you have to empty it frequently, but almost total extraction.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I have the Bosch PEX400 and can vouch for its ability to suck up the dust. I am in the process of sanding down recently stripped and repaired walls, so keeping the dust down is a must.

Reply to
Piers James