Dust Extraction for small workshop

Page 2 of 2

It was indeed, which makes his current whingeing on about how Inventive he is, how expensive patent renewals are, and all the rest of the Great British Inventor pose, get right up my nose (vortex-free due to blockages ;-)
Stefek
On 4 Sep 2003 09:48:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hp.com wrote:

You're confusing me with someone who actually gives a damn about being sued - you can't strip an already naked man! :O)
Besides, it's going to be (sometimes) used with a Dyson! A nice way to treat a paying customer that would look!
As a matter of fact, I'd be deeply appreciative of the opportunity of a "face to face" with Dyson in a legal setting too; I have a bone I'd rather like to pick (until it's truly clean and shines) with them! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 02:53:48 +0100, John Rumm
I wondered whether you ever experienced a problem with static buildup on the vacuum hose? I had that problem with an old Aquavac - whilst sucking up sawdust the plastic (or nylon?) pipe would gain a static charge, which could cause an interesting reaction when you came to touch something that was earthed :)
Solved the problem by connecting an earth wire to the vacuum hose. Ever since I've been cautious with any form of vacuum arrangement, just in case.
PoP
On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 19:51:59 +0100, PoP

No. There's just not enough grunt in a domestic vacuum. Black hoses help too - most are static dissipative (if not officially so), just because carbon black is still a favoured pigment. I've observed dust-cling, but never even got a tingle from it.
There is _no_ recorded instance of static discharge causing a dust explosion or fire with wood dust, shavings or wood flour in woodworking dust collection equipment. There is a robust theoretical risk-assessment as to why this is impossible.
Sucking up toluene is, of course, another story. Same for cigarette butts, grinding sparks, and finishing rags.
On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 22:14:39 +0100, Andy Dingley

OK, but you'd be amazed at just how many people manage to kill their computer and or other similar sensitive equipment that way!
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

What you need then is rubber soled shoes and a spare hand so you can zap passers by.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby