dust and woodchip extraction

Although if you read some of Luttgens' case studies, you will find examples (with solvents, not wood dust) where switching from non- conductive plastic to metal _caused_ explosions.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Gentlemen!

I shall be using 150mm metal duct for the main overhead run. The spigot on my fan is 150mm o/d so it will require, at least, some flexible piping for the final connection.

I have not decided about the actual machinery connections. I don't have a spindle moulder so the main *dust* generators are the bench saw and the planer/thicknesser. I have a Wadkin pull over saw and a powered morticer but foresee problems in gathering the chips.

It would be nice to collect the output from various hand tools as well. I plan to seek council from my woodworking tenant who has overcome all these problems:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yes. I don't think there was any overload protection other than the supply fuses. The start winding had some shorted turns and the capacitor was mainly converted to charcoal. A re-wind was roughly the same cost as a new 3ph. motor and I already had a suitable starter.

Umm... I re-assembled the unit from a big box of bits and have not come across anything intended to stop chunks of wood reaching the fan. Presumably there should be a grid of some sort? If so, what sort of mesh size?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

You can do that to a degree, but the characteristics of dust extractor are rather different to a vacuum cleaner. The latter is able to deliver a lot more vacuum on a small hose.

A larger DC won't give good results with very long lengths of narrow hose. For example, on my saw guard, I initially ran a length of 50mm hose from a ceiling mounted 100mm blast gate followed by a 100x50 reducer. The drop was about 2.5m. It worked OK but I thought it could do better. I changed it to 80mm hose with an 80x50mm reducer at the guard itself and it was substantially better.

For hand tools like sanders and routers, I've found that up to 1.5m or so of 38mm hose is OK hooked up to the DC.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thats suction, not vacuum. .

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

My 4" chip collector rig is on the thicknesser, the 2" (shop vac + cyclone) dust sucker is on either the bandsaw or the router table. The saw and the jointer just gravity dump into a box.

The thicknesser can fill 10 sackfuls in a day, if I'm really working. Nothing else comes close. I sometimes blow dust off the top of the cabinet saw, but otherwise I just don't have a problem with it. I empty the cyclone annually.

Dust collection on the morticer is by swearing loudly at the the chisel.

Reply to
Andy Dingley