Duplicate a mortice lock

Does anyone know where I can get a couple of 5 lever mortice locks which are identical, i.e. will work with the same key?

I have a side passage and a little storage unit under the house which I'd like to have just a single key for.

Reply to
Charlie

Any proper locksmith will sell you those, although I have sometimes seen keyed alike pairs sold in some of the sheds.

Reply to
Nightjar

A locksmith can easily re-key a mortice lock to match another similar lock.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

In article , Charlie writes

The term you are looking for is 'keyed alike' and they are available reasonably priced online these days:

eg:

or

where decent Union ones come in at 32quid a pop delivered. On the list shown KA = Keyed Alike and KD = Keyed to differ.

You only get one set of keys (3) so order any extras at the time of ordering.

Sanderson don't do keyed alike on their cheaper locks so if you want to save a few bob then try:

or

where they do keyed alike on most of their ranges inc the lower cost ones, many of which are still 5 lever BS rated.

If buying more than one lockset from these guys then be very careful with your description of the order and back it up with a phone call or you could end up with a keyed alike mixup. Nice team but I'm not sure the online order always passes a clear picture to the pickers.

Reply to
fred

So can the OP - search ebay for lever sets for the make of lock.

Take the target lock to bits and select new levers that match those in the lock.

Take the 2nd lock to bits and replace the levers with the ones that match the target.

You could even just mess around with the key and match up the levers one by one (hint - most mortice locks (that can be operated from both sides) must have symmetry so you only need to figure out levers 1,2 and 3.

4 will be the same as 2 and 5 will be the same as 1. For a 5 lever lock...

eg:

Tim Watts

Cheers Mike, I didn't realise it was called "re-keying", no I've done a quick google there are plenty of articles/video showing you how to do it. I think I'll give it go myself.

Reply to
Charlie

That's really helpful Fred - thanks

Reply to
Charlie

In article , Charlie writes

If you already have a pair of identical locks by all means have a go as a DIY/education task but if you are buying a pair of locks then modifying one then you wont get replacement levers for less than the cost of the keying alike charge from a cheap online supplier.

Reply to
fred