Dumb questions about carpet grippers...

I now understand (from a reply to my previous post) that carpet grippers should be placed far enough from the skirting board to allow the carpet to be tucked into the gap. But what is the ideal gap?

I want to fit these myself because the floor is concrete and I want to ensure they are solidly fixed before getting a carpet fitter in. I'm thinking of using adhesive *and* masonry nails (belt and braces!). Is that a reasonable approach or are there better ways?

One other thing. I read a suggestion somewhere that if the wall length is greater than 5m it's a good idea to "double-bank" the carpet grippers, one behind the other, so as to ensure a good stretch. Does anyone concur with that suggestion?

Reply to
Pyriform

If you are paying someone to fit the carpet, shouldnt they do the grippers for you?

Reply to
Thomarse

I'd concur. Unless you're thinking of fitting your own carpet you might as well leave it to the fitters. If you do it, they're bound to grumble about the positioning. If they get it wrong or the gripper pulls up, it's their job to sort it out. Fitters are quite familiar with concrete floors.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Exactly. Might be better to cut the carpet yourself in case the fitters aren't very good at it

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I've had experience of grippers (glued) lifting off a concrete floor a long time after the carpet was fitted. I'm simply looking for the most durable way of doing it. I don't care if it takes me a lot longer than a carpet fitter would take.

I've also observed that the price charged for grippers and underlay is far higher than I can find on the Internet, which is another reason for doing those bits myself...

Reply to
Pyriform

It might well be that for their model, they don't make money on the carpet, or the fitting, but their profit is on the sundries.

P.

Reply to
Paul Matthews

That's their problem, not mine....

Reply to
Pyriform

No, that's the reason for you supplying them, not fitting them also.

I really would leave it to them - they'll have them down in no time at all and will then assume responsibility for their placement and fitting.

If you're really adament about doing it yourself, ask them where they want them going as I'm sure they all have their own preferences.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Depends if they have supply of sundries as a condition of the fitting service.

As has already been said, if you supply them, it gives them the option to worm out of any problems.

Reply to
Paul Matthews

Except that if you take away all their profit then they won't be interested in fitting the carpet!

Guy

-- -------------------------------------------------------------------- Guy Dawson I.T. Operations Manager Crossflight Ltd snipped-for-privacy@crossflight.co.uk

Reply to
Guy Dawson

I rather doubt I'd be taking away ALL their profit. Just denying them some potential profit. Reuse of existing carpet grippers is hardly unknown, and I'm not aware of anybody stipulating that their underlay products (which are unlikely to include the one I want to use) have to be purchased in order for them to fit the carpet. I'm happy to pay a reasonable price for the carpet, along with a reasonable price for the fitting of it.

This was a straightforward DIY question, posed in a DIY group. I didn't expect it to turn into a discussion of different business models and the ethics of depriving tradesmen of an honest crust by doing DIY in the first place...

Reply to
Pyriform

Indeed, but one may find that there is little if any reduction in the final bill.

It may not be put that bluntly, but you may find that if you supply underlay, then they may try to blame any problems with the carpet or fitting on said underlay, or that they surcharge for using your materials. I had a run in with a garage when the guy suggested I get the parts for a job myself, and then refused to help when there was a problem with the job.

DIY answer; If you are going to get and fit your own grippers, and provide your own underlay, you have already done half the job. Change blades frequently, as it it much easier to trim the carpet correctly with a sharp blade. Get something like

and as long as you don't try to do it too quickly, it os not a difficult job. You are are a decent time of year - ity can be easier to lay a warm carpet than a cold one. Why pay for the full job when you have only got half of it?

Reply to
Paul Matthews

I went to my local carpet/fitting store yesterday to get just one gripper strip for my earlier question about my hall carpet and they just turned round and said, no charge.

Dave

Reply to
Dave