Dulux Weathershield gloss

I have been decorating the kitchen and ran out of gloss white but I had an unopened tin of weathershield so I used that, white gloss is white gloss bu t when I finished and was cleaning up I noticed on the tin " for outside us e only", why should it be outside only and what difference is there between that and interior gloss.

Reply to
Trevor Smith

Exterior gloss has fungicide included in the formulation which isn't suitable for indoor use.

Reply to
Lee

an unopened tin of weathershield so I used that, white gloss is white glos s but when I finished and was cleaning up I noticed on the tin " for outsid e use only", why should it be outside only and what difference is there bet ween that and interior gloss.

"isn't suitable" in what way?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Fungicides I should imagine and possibly less care about the solvents used or other substances that may leach out over time.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Trevor Smith writes

Might it be that it goes yellow in the absence of outdoor light?

Reply to
Bill

I'd go with fungicides. I'd guess that since a kitchen (or bathroom) should get more ventilation than "living" rooms the levels of any volatile fungicide in the air should be reasonably low. Same reason you are not supposed to use creosote or tanilised timber indoors.

Reply to
newshound

In the way that interior paint is supposed to be safe if you place food on it, or a child or pet licks or gnaws it.

The website seems to confirm some anti-fungal agent:

"The weatherproof paint film is mould resistant to minimise staining and flexible to resist cracking."

I would get in touch with Dulux - after all, they do have a help and advice arrangement. At least they could be more specific.

Reply to
polygonum

Who chews paint though?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Babies/toddlers and pets.

But not in this house!

Reply to
polygonum

Toddlers. Or more accurately they may chew furniture or wooden toys that are painted.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

As it's only the window frames, back door and skirting boards that have been painted it shouldn't be an issue with foodstuffs. Following your info I won't use it indoors again but I will leave it as it is in the kitchen as I don't fancy stripping it off and re-doing it again

Reply to
Trevor Smith

I too wouldn't be in a panic about it given where you have used it. But best to know the possible issues.

Reply to
polygonum

There is a lot more UV available outside so the paint is adjusted to compensate for it. You may find that it will yellow prematurely when used indoors in areas that have limited or no natural sunlight in much the same way that it does under a plantpot on a windowsill.

Reply to
Martin Brown