Dulux Trade versus Dulux retail paint

I told the decorators that are painting my home that the colour for th

kitchen should be Dulux Barley Twist.

They have painted it with a Dulux Trade paint that reads Soft Sheen o the tin, the colour is the right one.

From the Dulux colour card brochure from Home base, I read that th Matt finish paint is for kitchens, with grease and stain resistance and the Soft Sheen finish is for Bathrooms, with steam and moistur resistance.

Looks aside, I have these questions:

  1. Is Soft Sheen just a mater of the glossy look or also a matter o stain resistance and moisture resistance?

  1. Are the Dulux Trade paints the same as the Dulux retail paint mentioned in the brochure? If they are, and one is more appropriat than the other for the kitchen, perhaps I should tell them to repain it.

We have agreed on Dulux paints. The house was painted before wit Sanderson's paint, but they say Sanderson's is the same quality an more expensive.

Thanks,

Antoni

-- asalcedo

Reply to
asalcedo

In message , asalcedo wrote

Trade paint is the cheap substitute used by professionals who only need the job to look good for a few weeks before they get paid.

Reply to
Alan

What is the difference between Dulux Trade paints and Dulux Retail paints?

Mark

Rubbish. I have a statutory duty to keep my factories in good decorative order and I use Dulux Trade paint because it outlasts everything else.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the link, it settles it.

Antoni

-- asalcedo

Reply to
asalcedo

that pro decorators can thin them?

We always thin non-gloss paints as it makes them much easier to apply properly with pads.

Reply to
OG

I don't know about Dulux ... but several trade paints have a much higher opacity than 'diy' paint ... so the john gets done in less coats. I use McPherson or Leyland contract matt white on all my walls & ceilings as first coat before the colour and it way out performs anything on the day side. It does not cost anymore, and typically as in 10 Litre tubs it works out cheaper.

So not all 'Trade" paints are poor quality. Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

You can't get much cheaper than Dulux diy emulsion so it can't be a question of money. It's difficult to find normal paint now amongst the shelves of makeover stuff. Paint your tiles, your cupboards, your toilet bowl. Yeah but where's the white gloss?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Thicker, Well dulux are, but some of the so called "trade paint" in B&Qcrewyou is cheep because they are already excessively thinned. I have found Dulux interior white gloss to be very good and long lasting without discolouring, i use Leyland paints for exterior and emulsion No contest on quality and price.

-
Reply to
Mark

That's the problem of using the sheds. Just like Tescos, they're not interested in the quality of anything, only the price. Just take a look at the cr*p in the timber racks, and when you ask the girl if they have any timber that isn't split or warped, she won't have a clue what you're looking for!

Years ago you could buy cheap seconds quality of many building materials, but nowadays manufacturers keep their seconds quality stuff to sell off cheap to Wickes and B&Q etc. If you want first quality you need to go to a trade merchant, people who know their business. For proper paint you have to go to a proper decorators merchant. You can find your nearest Dulux Decorator Centre here. They usually sell other brands too:

rant

Reply to
Peter Taylor

I always buy my paint and dec supplies from a small local decorater merchant. They have everything in stock and have an expert knowledge of al their products, something you wont find in B&Q. I dont even think you pay very much more for the stuff

-- Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Have you any evidence for that, it sounds like made up bollox?

Reply to
marblr

The sheds simply can't stock timber because of the high temperatures in their stores. Merchants either keep their stock outdoors, but under cover, or they don't heat their premises at all. That's why the staff look the way they do.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Every B&Q Warehouse that I've been to has the unfinished (ie not laminate etc) timber product stored in a bolt-on section at the end, exposed to the outdoor air, but under cover. Not understanding these things, I always wondered why.

Is that what you mean?

Reply to
JustMe

It would depend on what the timber is to be used for. If indoors, buying from a storage facility which has ambient conditions close to that of a house is no bad thing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Whether they keep it inside or out, the softwood they sell is very low grade. It has too many knots, and often splits and shakes as well, and it usually has extremely high moisture content, which is why, 9 times out of

10, it is warped to smithereens. Being a natural product, timber comes from the forest in all sorts of quality and is graded and identified at the sawmills. I suspect the sheds probably buy cheaper, low-grade, stuff most timber merchants would reject, because they know they can sell it at over-inflated prices to punters who don't know or don't care about quality. Value-wise it's a far worse deal.
Reply to
Peter Taylor

yes

Reply to
Stuart Noble

No bad thing for you, but bad for the merchant who will end up with unsaleable material. 15% moisture content is ok for things like windows or floorboards where one side will be exposed to cooler conditions. Typically timber arrives at the merchant at 17% (termed "shipping dry") and will go down to 15% in summer, assuming unheated premises under cover. For purely interior fittings you really need 5-10% which restricts you to laminated boards for shelves etc. Furniture manufacturers have theirs dried to this level at source but merchants don't stock it because it's considerably more expensive and they don't have the heated storage facilities. Chicken and egg.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

European redwood generally only comes in "unsorted", or "5th" grade but

5th grade from northern Sweden will be better than unsorted from south Sweden. Those red letters on the end of the timber tell you where it's from but by the time it's been machined you can't always see them. Names to conjure with. Archangel, Karasea. They're Russian, but sound better than the Swedish equivalents. I suspect the sheds would prefer not to sell timber at all, but feel they have to offer it as a service, rather like bags of sand and cement which they individually puncture during handling to ensure that every one is either sold at a discount or spread all over the floor.
Reply to
Stuart Noble

A decent timber merchant will be able to supply kiln dried timber to order.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar