Dulux Satinwood - Durability

Hi all

Quick paint question..

I have used the water based quick dry satinwood for a while on doors, architraves etc., but find it a bit "soft" for the high traffic stuff. Has anyone used the oil based satinwood to be able to compare to gloss? Dulux claim the satinwood is just as durable/hard wearing as gloss, but I would appreciate some real user feedback/confirmation as I am considering using it for newel posts/handrailing.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

My lounge doors (double) are in oil based satinwood. (Frame in gloss) I really like it - I take care when cleaning dirty marks off not to rub it though - in case I make it shine. Just gentle wipe after spraying a cleaner onto it. No concerns about durability.

Reply to
John

"John" wrote

Thanks John

My other concern about oil based is the yellowing over time. One reason I am using predominantly acrylic paint is the colour-fastness. I'll try the bannister in oil based and see how it wears.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Is it the water based Trade Diamond Satinwood you have been using? I ask as that seems really quite hard wearing in my limited experience. (It also felt pretty hard when I had to sand it due to my useless brushwork.)

Reply to
neverwas

"neverwas" wrote

No I have been using the shed supplied standard quick dry stuff shown here

't seen your diamond version - will give that a try instead

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Hadn't seen your diamond version - will give that a try instead

Hi Phil, Sounds like you are going with Satinwood, but another suggestion to try would be Dulux Eggshell. Its a very low sheen, very matt. I always used high gloss finish but a decorator put me onto this finish. Its much easier to work with and I now prefer the finish. Its a less forgiving of small scratches than gloss and can easily be touched up unlike gloss.

With bannisters and other high wear areas I don't think you can avoid repainting every couple of years. :(

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Starling

In my experience, Dulux Satinwood is much harder wearing than their gloss paints. However, I have no experience of using Satinwood outdoors, although I am considering covering some uPVC window frames with it. Comments welcomed and yes, I will replace them with wood when I can afford it:)

I'm just renewing (carefull wet rub down with wet "wet or dry" 400 grit) some 20 year old Satinwood. There are a few chips, but the main reason is that the colour isn't as vibrant.

The original was oil based and I'm replacing it with oil based - it's still available either as "Trade" or as Dulux colour mixer paints. IIRC Dulux is phasing out oil based satinwood next year, so stock up now!

I have an open mind over the durability of water based gloss/satinwood/eggshell, but I do know that it's _much_ easier to get a good finish with the oil based paints, presumably because they "self level" much better than water based paints. Mind you it's swings and round abouts, because you don't need to wait as long before you can rub down water based paints. Nonetheless I haven't got 'round to trying to get really smooth finishes with water based paints yet, because it's so easy to get a smooth finish with oil based paints.

Dulux aren't the only supplier of "satinwood" paints, Farrow & Ball certainly do them, so I guess that Leyland, Johnstones, Crown, Sandersons, English Heritage et al will also do them.

Nowadays, there seem to be less colours in the Dulux Stainwood range that require an undercoat. I don't know if that's really true or whether they've just given in to the great unwashed's inability to do anything carefully.

Reply to
Jan Wysocki