Dulux paint match - Ikea white

Does anyone have experience of getting a paint match for Ikea white (Ikea don't seem to sell it themselves).

I have a short length of skirting board that would look much better matching the kitchen units, plus a couple of accidental door-dings inflicted during installation.

How big a sample would they want (I have several off-cuts).

From searching the web, it seems that High Gloss is the finish to get.

Reply to
Roland Perry

I think you'd be wasting your time unless you also match the texture of the Ikea material e.g. white wood looks very different to white masonry.

My only experience of the Dulux service was getting them to reproduce one of their own discontinued paints, and that was a disaster

Reply to
stuart noble

Yeah, I was pondering the same. Had to perform some surgery to a desk to fit my sons bedroom last week, and now need 20 inches of 30mm white edging tape.

Figured that would be easy to source on ebay but seems only 5m rolls are available... will await an offcut coming up. Pretty sure it'll not match perfectly, but it'll likely be a better match than any paint.

Admittedly, that's not really an option for skirting board :-)

My (only) experience was for the same thing (matching old paint) and the result was perfect...

I wonder how much is still down to how careful the person manning the machine is? I know it's all automated, but watching someone mixing paint in B&Q the other week half the pigment ended up on the rim of the tin so that's not likely to match anything!

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

In message , Roland Perry writes

I have just had this done for my son's external woodwork, where he could only afford to get "a man" to paint the front, so it had to match the sides and back.

The local Crown agent's matching machine was broken and had been in for repair for many weeks. They had chased but didn't know how long it would be.

The Dulux place wanted a sample the size of a 50-pence piece. I took along a few bits of painted rotten wood of about that size and the match seems fine now the paint is on. As usual, SWMBO talked me into paying for the paint, and the price was staggering. They supplied mixed undercoat to match the top coat. Just under £50 for each 2.5 litre tin of Weathershield.

My previous experiences with mixed-to-colour paints, as documented in an earlier thread, have been disastrous, eg several passes with an industrial paint supplier, ending up with a very strange coloured boat, and an experience with the Crown place. Perhaps that's why the machine was away for repair.

Reply to
Bill

In message , at 09:44:59 on Mon, 2 Sep

2013, stuart noble remarked:

All the stuff I want to paint is either wood or MDF (including Ikea's own MDF where I've chipped the paint off by accident), so I don't think that's an issue.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 09:12:14 on Mon, 2 Sep 2013, D.M.Chapman remarked:

The edging tape is normally bright white, and I've had some flatpack furniture recently with short lengths included. The IKEA carcasses are bright white, it's the doors which are the "Ikea White" (it's an extremely pale pink tinge).

Touching up some chips in the doors is absolutely not a task for edging tape though.

ps. I'm sure I've bought reels of less than 5m of the more usual 15mm edging tape.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 10:39:54 on Mon, 2 Sep 2013, Bill remarked:

I was staggered to see 2.5 litre cans of pre-mixed "heritage colour"

*internal* paint for prices like that in Homebase last week.
Reply to
Roland Perry

Recently, my brother needed quite a bit of Weathershield. After buying a rather expensive can in screwfix, a bit of searching found Brewers to be the best value of the various local stockists.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You don't have to worry about matching as their white paint will go yellow in a few months.

Reply to
alan

I took a sample of kick-board from my ivory-ish coloured kitchen to the loc al leyland/johnstones place and they scanned it and matched it very well wi th an oil-based eggshell. When first painted I thought it looked a bit ligh t, but when dried it was spot on. Only used it to touch up bits and paint s ome infill strips I made though. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson