Dug out my old Copydex JointMaster, what about replacement guides?

Obviously, the genuine plastic guides are no longer available, but what ingenious methods have others applied to simulate the guides? Maybe thin plastic sheet such as Delrin (used for harpsichord plectra), then heated and bent into shape? Or a small leaf spring of some kind? All it has to do is push the saw blade lightly against the opposite guide.

MM

Reply to
MM

No responses, maybe not many people know what a Copydex JointMaster is? I've not heard of it before but google finds:

guess you are looking for the rounded clippy things at the top right of the saw guides?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hmm that takes me back a bit. My mother used to have one of those ;-)

How about a bit of something springy like neoprene with a slice of PTFE rod on the end of it?

Reply to
John Rumm

I still have mine. Gets occasional use away from home.

I don't think the *clippy thing* is essential. Just keep the blade to one side of the slot manually.

My first problem was having to find a tenon saw with a blade deep enough to reach the bottom of the guides. In the era of throw away saws with stiff blades and huge choice of tooth intervals, this may not be an obstacle.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yep.

MM

Reply to
MM

Possible. As I recall, the jig came with a couple of spare guides, but I kick myself that I didn't buy 50 of them at the time, because they would have lasted my lifetime. When new guides are installed (i.e. not worn down after extended use) this little jig was truly useful. Now that they ones in my jig are worn completely flat, the saw blade wobbles too much for the thing to be much use (which is why I've never bought one of those mitre boxes).

I've also been thinking of modifying it to accept the kinds of carbon brushes used in old-fashioned car dynamos or powerdrills, but with stronger springs. So far, I've thought of everything that could possibly be adapted, including plastic clothes pegs.

MM

Reply to
MM

Get a mitre box. Much easier to use.

Dad had one of these Jointmasters back in the '70s. Neither of us ever found any use for it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I found a new tenon saw in Wilkinson for under a fiver. That works with the 'dex.

MM

Reply to
MM

But a mitre box doesn't have any guide 'clip' to stop the saw wobbling in the groove. The clip was the JointMaster's secret weapon.

On the contrary, back then I sawed many pieces of wood nice and square. I reckon it was and is a genuinely useful tool. But the clips are both its secret weapon and its Achilles' heel.

MM

Reply to
MM

First of all, learn to hold the saw flat against the guide.

Secondly, a decent and new mitre box doesn't rattle around the saw. Better mitre boxes even have adjustable guides at the top, which you can adjust down to blade thickness, not just kerf width.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Er, isn't that the point of the JointMaster? (As long as the guides are in good nick.)

Note: I don't want to cut mitres, I want to cut at 90 deg. All the mitre boxes I've seen with adjustable guides are for cutting mitres.

MM

Reply to
MM

Self adhesive nylon wire clips? Maybe a P clip or something like:

Dave Liquorice

I have one with guides that have had no use. You?re welcome to them I could post. I am throwing the whole thing away as it has no white plasti c legs that seem to be a vital component

Reply to
swazza0

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

I still have mine, complete with posts:-)

Could he not glue in some Formica etc. offcut?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Long shot Tim but do you still have it? Thanks John

Reply to
willyw97uk

In message <167707570a539320$1$1298995$ snipped-for-privacy@news.newsgroupdirect.com>, willyw97uk snipped-for-privacy@example.com writes

This thread is 9 years old! But, yes I do. A scratch around might find some of the plastic posts.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Sure then just visit the local museum or the tip. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa