Duff imersion element

I have got one of these to change on saturday, it is a top entry type and I was wondering what length the element could be.

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

AFAIK there are only two sizes 11" & 27". If it's a large tank its probably the longer one. Take the old one out before you buy a replacement.

BTW have you checked to see if its got a reset?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The longest that will fit the cylinder? Of course some fit whatever they can get...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Be warned that old ones can be a job to shift. You need to turn off the water then loosen the old heater with the cylinder full of water (cloth to catch seepage). One I did I had a long tube on the end of the spanner and was scared I'd rip the flange out of the cylinder.

They come in various lengths, 11, 14, 18, 27, 30 and 36 inch listed on the Plumbworld site

Tony Bryer

Stephen Dawson was thinking very hard :

Measure the height of the cylinder, it should be 3 to 6" shorter than maximum length that can be installed. Old ones can be hard to remove - try tightening a little first, then slackening.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Many Thanks to every body, tank is a standard 36/18 so I will buy a 27" element and do the job in one visit.

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

I well remember removing one where the 'bottom' end had been bent double to fit the cylinder. Didn't seem to much effect the life - it was yonks old. Dunno what it would do to the efficiency, though. Probably not much.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Fwiw efficiency is 100% whatever state theyre in.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

I've seen a few like that, but bent at the factory. I'd suspect a bend put in it during installation would be fairly damaging.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

But think of what that could do to the earth leakage of the thing!

Reply to
John Rumm

I thought they were similar to MICC in construction so assuming you don't actually fracture the outer should survive bending ok?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Depends on the bend. If you cause a fold in the outer tube then you may have problems. Radiused bends ought to be ok.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yeah .You can buy them like that .I got one from BES ( ? ) .

Reply to
Stuart B