Ducting

I am looking to install an extractor fan in a newly created internal kitchen. The problem I have is that the nearest point to which to extract (i.e. external wall) is some 4m away.

I will be fitting a 6" extractor as per Building Control instructions. The ducting, together with the waste from the sink, will run behind a new partition wall in the adjacent room. I would like to keep this new wall as close as possible to the existing wall as the room is quite narrow already.

I intend to use a standard wall mounted fan - something like this one:

. My question is: will it be OK to run 4" ducting for it along the 4m span? Can I use something like this:
? It would make my life much easier as I will only need two flat-to-round adaptors on either end, and I would lose less of the room. It seem much harder to find adaptors, etc for the 6" flat one (
.Considering that these fan are only designed to work to their full capacity with straight ducting of 2-3m according to the manufacturer (mine will be a pretty messy 4-5m), I just thought that I could get away with using smaller ducting. Is the only drawback the drop in performance, or is there anything else I need to consider?

I should probably add that I am not too concerned with the performance of the fan, as it is only there to satisfy the BCO demands, and I will happily live without the fan altogether (personal choice, I know).

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

J.

Reply to
JoeJoe

I would have thought the only other problem might be that of condensation potentially collecting within the ducting; not that that's not an issue with shorter runs, just that it's likely to be a bit harder to get a reasonable and consistent fall on the ducting if it's going to be 5m long.

Changing from round to square cross-section will inevitably clobber the performance as well, but I expect you're aware of that.

David

Reply to
Lobster

If you can get hold of the flowrate vs. back pressure curves for the fan it would be worth calculating its effectiveness in your proposed setup. Further details, including the method and pressure figures, in the Domus catalogue at

(5MB PDF).

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I thought about condensation, and intend to run the ducting at a slight angle.

My only ral conen was whether long ducting will have any effect on the motor of the fan - i.e. will it cause it any damage, will it burn one day, is it safe?

Reply to
JoeJoe

You should use _larger_ ducting in this case.

The longer the ducting and the smaller the cross section, the more back pressure you will get and this will reduce the performance of the fan and it's life expectancy.

M.

Reply to
Mark