Duckboards

Hi

Planning to make some duckboards, but have never done these, and with none to look at I've got a q or 2 (google got me not very far)

One site said redwood is good for boards on a wet floor - I presume this is wrong? Which should I choose from cypress, western red cedar, redwood, & teak?

Are 1x1 PAR slats going to be big enough? Or should I go for 2x1 with

3/4" spacing?

I expect I'll use one crosspiece per foot.

cheers, NT

Reply to
meow2222

Are these for use on the level or on the slope of a roof etc?

Reply to
John Rumm

Or on a duck?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

:) on a level wet floor.

I realised I can go stand on some wood tomorrow and see whats big enough, is just about species I dont know much about

ta, NT

Reply to
meow2222

Last time I saw wooden duckboards, in the 1960s, they were about 2" x 1" and made of softwood. They did need replacing fairly often, but they were used between plating vats and the acid got them long before they had a chance to rot.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Hi,

What's it for, a bathroom? How big does the duckboard(s) have to be?

Would these be any good?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

It would be if they had a suitable size, but thats nowhere near big enough, and no other sizes on offer.

Its going to sit on a covered concrete base, and will be hosed down daily, then dry off over evening & night.

I'm already resigned to making my own.

I presume something like Deckbond would be adequate for this, I dont want to do 1000 countersunk screws. Currently expect to leave the wood bare.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Thanks, that sounds more sensible than 1x1.

NT

Reply to
meow2222