ducK or ducT tape

I bought "the original Duck Tape" a few weeks ago

should I have done?

it's expensive

fibre-reinforced, waterproof etc.

pretty good for wrapping parcels

--

Gill Smith

That depends on what you needed it for ;-)

I think it's supposed to be pretty good if you want something long- lasting - worth the money. I've certainly found that duct tape varies enormously in quality, with the more expensive stuff generally having better adhesive qualities and being less likely to tear.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

It's one of those things on which they went to the lowest common denominator - it was always duct tape, but folk heard it and repeated it as duck tape, if they hadn't seen it written. A bit like 'should've' (contraction of 'should have') becoming 'should of' *cringe*.

Gaffer tape's another one, it's tape used by gaffers - gaffa tape's the stuff of fiction.

Someone help me down off this high horse would you...

Reply to
Lino expert

Actually, it's more complicated than that.

Duct tape is a generic term for 2" wide fabric backed adhesive tape.

However, nowadays, it comes in a remarkable array of versions formulated for different specific applications.

For example, originally duct tape was silvery coloured with a shiny finish and permanent adhesive - for sealing aircon duct work.

At the other end of the scale, originally gaffer tape was matt black, very easy to tear with a low-tack peelable adhesive - not so good for either aircon or packaging, but perfect for temporary use.

Nowadays, there are a myriad versions for differing applications.

There's an interesting list here: -

Dave Osborne

Gill Smith :

I also use good-quality duct tape (not necessarily Duck Tape, "original" or otherwise). I don't get through an awful lot of it so it's not worth buying the cheaper stuff.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Are u still tied to it with Gaffer tape? Say the safe word please....

I'll get me long mac ....

Reply to
Adrian C

For which its useless, aircon needs aluminium tape to seal it as does warm air heating.

Reply to
dennis

Not according to this:

claims 'duck tape' was the original name ("because of its ability to repel water like a duck=92s back") and 'duct tape' came later.

Richard.

Richard Russell

Please ignore that last post. I've just realised that was pretty offensive.

Sorry ...

Reply to
Adrian C

I saw "Ducks" painted on the pavemement over some excavations - to show where some underground pipes were located!!!

Reply to
John

Oh. You mean 'macintosh' (i.e. rain gear)! You'd have to explain that word to a North American. As with the word 'tuque' used, in Canada. i.e a knitted woolen cap. Cheers.

Reply to
terry

Good for tying up ducks, while you tickle them.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Whenever I see the word "duct" I hear the tune "Brazil" (more accurately, "Aquarela do Brasil".)

Reply to
Gib Bogle

When the baggage handlers in the US tore a big rent in my soft bag, just under the handle, I repaired it with silvery duct tape. It survived the rest of my trip, and looks set to be good for another trip.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

than the fluorescent :)

Matty F

I thought the seminal work was done with hamsters ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

FWIW the original was duct tape. But people like Drivel insisted on calling it "duck tape". After a time a company, I think it was Henkel but I'm not sure, decided to make money from confusion by actually making a type of duct tape branded as "Duck Tape(tm)" and putting "The Original" on the label.

Reply to
Steve Firth

According to their own site it was Jack Kahl, former CEO of Manco Inc., who created the Duck brand in 1984:

bought Manco in 1997:

Richard Russell

The way I've heard it, it was originally duck tape - a type of water- resistant tape ("like water off a duck's back"), used during WWII.

It was only later when it started being used around the home that it became common to call it duct tape (which is interesting in its own right; as Dennis says, it's pretty useless for HVAC ductwork and professionals all use aluminium tape)

"Duck tape" as a brand is much more recent, but the name's documented back to at least the 1940s.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson