Dual-gang audio rotary pot with switch?

Only need 12v dc in this application....

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Oh? Muy Bad. Thread drift etc..

In which case, yes, car boot sale and old car radio.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes - but very useful if you couldn't get a stock one. I'm 'listening' to one at the movement - the selector switch for the sound system in the workshop.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Probably not as rugged (uses a hard drive), and the items for this project have long since dried up, but I made one of these before the Apple iPod came out. It still works today and the playback sound quality is rather good...

I've started collecting highend 80s ghettoblasters. I feel one could do with an MP3 heart transplant with the above gubbins.

Another DIY project on the back burner, is a ghettoblaster made of wood, decent speakers and a car stereo for the electronics, or more probably - the processing and storage guts of a laptop.

There is a hip hop / martial arts film staring Forest Whitaker, "Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai", that features one of those DIY efforts. It looks kinda cool.

Reply to
Adrian C

As is (was?) also Realistic and Archer.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

The trouble with combined switches/pots was always that there was excessive wear on the pot (at least carbon-track ones) due solely to switching on and off.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Same principle though....

Not sure hdd would be such a good idea - the kit needs to stand up to the 's*d it - I'm cold, it's raining, there's not customers and I'm going home' syndrome - which tends to results in a rather less 'careful & precise' attitude to packing the van at the end of a market...

Same reason pro band stuff ends up in enormous flight-cases - your average roadie feels the same at 3am after the gig!

The velleman kit works very well. It's possible to 'program' it - so, on switch-on, my module just sets up the usual parameters, chooses a track at random, and starts playing (which is what I wanted it to do) The dryfit battery also lasts 'forever' between charges - Mk1 of the kit used a little portable MP3 player, the same speakers and battery and a dual-ic PA - but the MP3 was always needing recharging....

With the new kit, recharging is so infrequent that I'm going to add a volt-meter to remind me to do it !

nice!

Haven't seen that Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Visited one of their shops in the US sometime ago. Seemed a bit low on peg boards displays, and they were selling a lot of other brands and generally looking a bit bland. The large catalogue is online, and electronic bits are to order & expensive ;-(

Got quite a nice "Realistic" 3-way tape deck source/monitor switch discounted when they were shutting up here, fully regret not buying more as it's a useful bit of kit still in use that I've never seen cheaply elsewhere.

In me youth, I remember gawking at their catalogs and flyers, at wonderful 'badge engineered' stuff. Sometimes it wasn't hard to spot the original manufacturer - I remember Awia made a few of the cassette decks.

Oh, yes - Like most spotty kids of the time, I was a member of the 'battery club'. Free battery once a month :-)

An interesting Train spotter fact ...

The Tandy Subway

Adrian C

Here's a picture of that box.

Ok, on secong glance it looks a bit ruff 'n' ready - but me likes the concept.

Reply to
Adrian C

I've still got a Tandy battery club card!

Reply to
Frank Erskine

"Rat Shack" is quite a popular name. I still smile whenever I walk past our local one - most of the inventory seems to be phones. I don't even know if they have a components section - the store's very narrow and deep, and I've never dared venture into the back.

I'd forgotten that name. I think I still have a Realistic reverb unit in storage back in the UK.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

"As is" is was what they put on the sales receipt for damaged packaging / discounted / returned / cosmetic defect items.

I think they thought that it somehow exempted them from the Sales of Goods Act or whatever was around in the 70''s

Reply to
The Other Mike

Tandy shops were still very much in existence until well into the 80s, and after Maplin started expanding.

Sold out years ago, that's when it went downhill. I gave up on Maplin after experiencing their first attempt at on-line ordering.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q