dual fuel price comparisons

Thought it best to start a new thread.

My annual spend was 1380 quid for gas and electric (by far the most on gas)

Top of the alternatives are first utility with pretty high standing charges (200 and 100 quid per annum) - save 245 quid.

Next down was npower - 30 quid/yr standing charge - save 179 quid

I could save 60 quid with British Gas by changing to their online energy tarrif.

Utility warehouse would be 100 quid more than my current bill.

So I could save up to 20 quid a month. Actually not as much difference as I'd thought.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

(200 and 100 quid per annum) - save 245 quid.

A comment on the radio suggested that whilst prices might not go down any further this year, there were still some announced price cuts were still to take effect so could be worth waiting a month or two before doing a comparison and switching.

My energy fixed price deal finishes on 17th March and they wrote the other day offering a new tariff (higher) but when I phoned today they had all sorts of variants that had not appeared on price comparison website. They also said their prices were going down on 26th March.

It is still a bloody minefield despite the suggestion that the govmint were going to press for simpler tariff structures.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

sm_jamieson wrote, on 08/02/2012 20:18:

(200 and 100 quid per annum) - save 245 quid.

Have you also looked at Co-Op Energy? It would be interesting, for me at least, to see how they stack up against your other alternatives for your consumption. Of course, a major problem is that there are various basis price changes probably in the pipeline for different suppliers at different times, not to mention announced changes to discount and fixed-price schemes with the claimed intention of "simplifying" things.

Reply to
Dave N

(200 and 100 quid per annum) - save 245 quid.

well talk about tryg to put a positive spin on things "We are only £336.00 more per year than your current supplier"

Reply to
Ghostrecon

harges (200 and 100 quid per annum) - save 245 quid.

Thanks. That adds some context to their pricing model. They claimed to =

be "only =C2=A350 more per year" than my BG dual fuel tariff, which is=20 cheaper than any of BG's currently available tariffs.

--=20 Dave N

Reply to
Dave N

In message , Ghostrecon wrote

Mine is "We are only £93 more per year than your current supplier"

"We might cost a little more than your current supplier but look at all the other reasons for joining Co-operative Energy."

They go on to offer a one off switching payment and points on something I'll never use. Result still more expensive.

Reply to
Alan

(200 and 100 quid per annum) - save 245 quid.

I switched to First Utility a couple of years ago, after visiting a price comparison site. 3 months after I switched they doubled the standing charge on my Gas - but stealthily - they informed me of price rises and the rises per unit seemed reasonable enough, but the rises in standing changes were glossed over (and when I went to check the wording later the notice had been removed from their web site, quite convenient). Apparently by law they cannot increase the price in the first 3 months, but as soon as the 3 months is up they whack on the price increases. They try to lock you in by offering year-on year bonuses which only pay out at the end of the next year. But in my case the increase in standing charge cancelled out any first year bonus, and I suspect another price rise would have cancelled out the second year bonus too. My advice would be avoid them like the plague, they are not to be trusted.

I switched to Co-op, mainly because I thought I could trust them. Their minimum contract is a month, they have one tariff, no bonuses, and no penalty for leaving at any time. Their profits go back to their shareholders (=customers). So far they have been excellent.

During the process of switching First Utility called offering a special deal if I would stay with them. I told them there was no deal they could offer which would persuade me to stay with them - by stealthily doubling the standing charge they had lost my trust. The guy in the call centre was speechless - he had no answer to that.

Biggles

Reply to
Biggles

Alan,

Mine is "we will save you £80 a year" plus an extra "£23 on the points that you would accrue at your rate of payment".

To be fair though, I have never switched from my old, separate utility companies - but *IF* I do change (unlikely at the moment for just £80), it would be to the co-op, as I have dealt with their bank for the last 30 years and found their "ethical business" claim true -- and that's what would 'swing it' for me.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

What about "all" utilities, mobile, phone, broadband?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

My dual fuel came out at £6 per month less than I am paying now, plus the 20 quid/year co op points. I too have never changed suppliers from the markets opening up. Nobody has ever offered a saving that was worth the hassle a lot of people seem to suffer.

Better the devil you know.

Reply to
Him & Her

(200 and 100 quid per annum) - save 245 quid.

What could you save with the coop?

mogga

Hmm. I've just switched to them - their fixed-to-March'13 tariff works out cheapest for me. Mind you I'm assuming both unit and standing charges are fixed. I was with them a few years ago and had no complaints, and I've never had a problem switching suppliers - we've done so about five times.

I didn't wait for the price cuts to factor into the comparison sites - MoneySavingExpert says "It?s worth noting only British Gas?s change is incorporated into comparison sites so far. Yet as the changes are tiny, and we?re still mid-winter, for those on standard tariffs the savings from acting now should outway any minor inconsistencies in the results".

Reply to
Reentrant

Mine is cheaper with them. And cheaper than anyone else as the man at the entrance to morrisons trying to flog eon found.

Am in the North West if that makes a difference.

Reply to
mogga

Me, Nothing =A3224/year more expenisve that my current supllier (NPower) the =A350 kick back and possible =A319 of "points" still don't make 'em cheaper.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My experience also shows them to be untrustworthy, if things go well then it can be fine but if things go wrong, don't expect them to be sorted out quickly (or perhaps at all). I'd happily pay 80quid a year extra not to use them.

To o/p watch out for tariffs that are tail end loaded, eg. price includes 50-100quid bonus payable at end of 12mth intervals which inhibits switching. I believe NPower do this.

Last deal I set up for someone was a Scottish Power fixed (might have been a tracker) who I'm not generally a fan of but it was the best deal for this person. Nearly went OVO, small outfit, nice principles but they price hiked the very day of sign up and so weren't competitive.

Also, on comparisons, make sure to tick the "include tariffs not available from us" or similar box (that is from moneysupermarket.com) to view absolutely all tariffs.

A trip via quidco might work too, I got 80quid cashback on a dual fuel switch a couple of years back and 50quid on the Scot Power one above that paid for a meal for the 2 of us.

Anyway, maybe don't jump to change now, the switch will take 6wks so you'll be in low gas usage by then and cost differences wont be so significant. Look for deals through the summer and see if one takes your fancy.

Reply to
fred

I went with OVO a few months ago.

Was slightly concerned at the T&C's that said that the price would be that on the day energy supplies start, so not wanting to be a hostage to fortune I got an email from them saying that the price would be that on the day I sent the online form. I copied their web pages for the time I sent the form, and that's what turned up on the agreement.

I guess they were looking for more customers, and this was a small risk for them to take, but a bigger one for me.

Terry Fields

Reply to
Terry Fields

In message , Reentrant wrote

That's not to make any difference. The price cuts only apply to "STANDARD" rate charges. Anyone on web based pricing plans is paying less than that anyway.

Reply to
Alan

In article , Terry Fields writes

Thanks for pointing that out, I had thought that the price was fixed at time of sign up[1] but will look closely at T&Cs if I get close to going with them in the future.

[1] As they say 'get quote' (as in quotation, as in fixed price rather than estimate) before sign up I'd expect them to be on a hiding to nothing if they tried to go back on the quoted price.
Reply to
fred

EON had a fairly hidden tail-end load since it said in the T&Cs you get no discount on your final bill.

Just gone for OVO because the reviews says their bills are clear. Both EON and Scottish power seem to make the billing as opaque as possible.

Reply to
Mark