Dual Boot for Win 7

I plan to get a brand new Laptop with Windows 7, but would also like to run or dual boot Win XP for many legacy programs that don't run too well, even under Vista - mostly due to graphics probs. The old laptop only has 128MB memory and keeps crashing. Not wishing to pay to upgrade all the progs. what is the best option to run XP, and what problems would arise in the way of USB2 ports, 2GB memory limit, WiFi interface, HD SD card reader, etc. Is this a sensible way to proceed ?

rusty

Reply to
therustyone

You might consider using a virtualisastion product such as VMWare player to run your XP installation in (assuming your XP install CD isn't tied to the manufacturer of the original laptop).

I'm not sure what your expected graphical problems are due to - but I assume that you will need XP graphics drivers for the graphics hardware in your new PC - check if they are available. Again, XP can drive SD card readers, WiFi interfaces, USB2 ports - most things as long as the hardware isn't too recent for XP drivers to exist. If you can't get XP drivers then virtualisation looks to be the best route.

Windows 7 also offers XP mode.

"Designed primarily with small- and medium-sized businesses in mind, Windows XP Mode comes as a separate download and works only with Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise. Windows XP Mode also requires virtualization software such as Windows Virtual PC. Both are available free on the Microsoft website. "

HTH

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

dual boot Win XP for many legacy programs that don't run too well, even under Vista - mostly due to graphics probs. The old laptop only has 128MB memory and keeps crashing.

XP, and what problems would arise in the way of USB2 ports, 2GB memory limit, WiFi interface, HD SD card reader, etc. Is this a sensible way to proceed ?

george ~ dicegeorge

dual boot Win XP for many legacy programs that don't run too well, even under Vista - mostly due to graphics probs. The old laptop only has 128MB memory and keeps crashing.

XP, and what problems would arise in the way of USB2 ports, 2GB memory limit, WiFi interface, HD SD card reader, etc. Is this a sensible way to proceed ?

Firstly, if the limitation of your old laptop is simply memory, is 128MB the max memory supported, or could you increase it? Memory is cheap. If you can upgrade it to 1GB, that might be all you need to do.

When I bought a new laptop a couple of years ago, I managed to get one with W7 Professional - 32 bit. Professional to give me the option to run a virtual XP machine within W7 and 32-bit to minimise compatibility problems.

I've been agreeably surprised just how much legacy stuff I've been able to run on W7 - some very old programs (like Finale 2003 and Quicken 98) plus some old printers and scanners. I suspect that it might have been a different story had I bought the 64-bit version.

I did set up a Virtual XP machine because one or two programs worked

*differently* in W7 even though they did work. For example Capella Scan 5 (music OCR program) would only work with German menus, and Quicken wouldn't generate invoices. I have to say that running XP in a virtual machine was painfully slow - although I only have 2GB of memory (total) so that may explain part of it. I don't use it any more because I've upgraded Capella Scan to a version which works properly in W7, and I no longer need to produce invoices.
Reply to
Roger Mills

If you want a full dual boot rather than a virtual one, you'll need to load XP first followed by Win7. You'll then get the choice of them at boot

- but to change between them requires a re-boot. However, they do work exactly like they are the only operating system.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Microsoft has always behaved like it was the only operating system.

Fortunately it isn't.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It only takes a few minutes to configure the M$ boot manager to boot linux. JFGI

Reply to
dennis

In that case, why have W7 at all if XP does everything he wants?

Reply to
Roger Mills

un or dual boot Win XP for many legacy programs that don't run too well, ev= en under Vista - mostly due to graphics probs. The old laptop only has 128= MB memory and keeps crashing.

un XP, and what problems would arise in the way of USB2 ports, 2GB memory l= imit, WiFi interface, HD SD card reader, etc. Is this a sensible way to pr= oceed ?

thanks for all the replies, a lot to chew over !

  • XP drivers may not exist for the latest hardware and graphics chips HCSD,= USB2 etc.
  • Win 7 Prof. would be an extra expense but would be safe and eliminate any= driver problems. If the free XP download runs very slowly that could be a= difficulty.
  • XP could only see 2 GB of the 8 GB memory they seem to provide these day= s.

Not sure how Linux would help run XP-specific software. Some of the older progs seem to have their own dedicated graphics drivers t= hat work weirdly under Vista, eg. some colours become B&W halftone and VGA = or SVGA drivers don't know about modern hi res. screens.

the best solution might be a standard Win 7 home version that comes with th= e laptop and dual boot a new XP bought off ebay for ~=A335. That would pro= bably rule out a Win 7 provided only on the HD, ie proper installation disc= s would be required. Separate express cards could provide USB2 and HCSD interfaces with their ow= n drivers provided by the manufacturers in the box or on the web.

rusty

Reply to
therustyone

or dual boot Win XP for many legacy programs that don't run too well, even under Vista - mostly due to graphics probs. The old laptop only has 128MB memory and keeps crashing.

XP, and what problems would arise in the way of USB2 ports, 2GB memory limit, WiFi interface, HD SD card reader, etc. Is this a sensible way to proceed ?

driver problems. If the free XP download runs very slowly that could be a difficulty.

because you install XP in a virtual machine.

It really depends what you want to achieve.

For me the ability to run a couple of windows programs in an XP virtual machine whilst (simultaneously) doing everything else in a far more resilient and reliable Linux framework is the best solution.

YMMV.

work weirdly under Vista, eg. some colours become B&W halftone and VGA or SVGA drivers don't know about modern hi res. screens.

Thatd te advantge of virtyualisation. Calls to the graphic memoryy are intercetped and remapped entirely.

laptop and dual boot a new XP bought off ebay for ~£35. That would probably rule out a Win 7 provided only on the HD, ie proper installation discs would be required.

drivers provided by the manufacturers in the box or on the web.

Id definitely virtualise rather than dual boot unless you have XP games to play that require fast screens. Or are desperately short of RAM.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher