Drying out underfloor rubble - cat litter?

Ok - this might be a *really* stupid idea... Given my last problem (spilt caustic soda), I now have a small patch of wetness under the floorboards (about 6in x 6in). It's damp (water), not wet, but I'm mindful of the neighbours below (this is an old 1900 Scottish tenement). There is loose rubble & powdery/dust stuff (about 6in deep - I don't want to dig any further in case I hit the neighbours ceiling!) . Just to ensure it doesn't get any wetter (it's under the shower pipes which I've removed & replaced), and maybe to dry it up, could I put cat litter in there? Mix it up with the rubble? Daft idea? Or is there a proprietary product for this?

Cheers ... Mark

Reply to
Mark

cat litter sounds good.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If it's only damp, and there's no more water getting to the area, I'd just leave it: it'll soon dry out by itself. If you can leave it exposed (ie floorboard up) that would be good.

Not that kitty litter will do any harm - just wouldn't bother.

David

Reply to
Lobster

That stuff that turns to sawdust could be hoovered up after.

Reply to
Mogga