Driving past a sodding big antenna

Around here there seems to be a problem with cross mod on some medium wave radios. You get Premier radio in the background. So where are these transmitters located near London?

Also FM has issues with Radio Jacky or however its spelled anywhere near Tolworth. In parts of Italy I read residents are worried about the output power of Vatican radio and if it might cause health issues. That station is apparently putting out megawatts on around 4 mhz.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

None of which were long wave. They were all shortwave providing service overseas.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Premier radio has five transmitters near you, including five hundred watts on 1413 Kilohertz near Heathrow, and the same on 1305 at North Looe. There's also a kilowatt at Bow on 1332, directed slightly to the West to cover the centre of London.

Radio Jackie has a hundred watts at 107.8 Megahertz on top of Tolworth Tower, which gives a very good radiation pattern. As an ex-pirate, they may wind up the power a bit and modulate to the limits of their gear.

Reply to
John Williamson

Droitwich used to be good for the locals who, with the help of a suitably tuned coil of wire, could power their porch lights!

mike

Over deviation is of no use to an fm station, it just sounds awful as well. I can understand their annoyance at pirates though, we get a lot of those around here. I had no idea Premier had so many outlets, Must be money in God on air I never realised. I can only listen to them for a few seconds before my blood boils at the claptrap and naivety of it all. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I somehow doubt that is really feasible. I recall when I was 11, in 1961 that bbc had an open day at Brookmans Park and in those days it was all glass plumbing and glowing valves. We tried to get some light from a tuned circuit in the car park and failed completely. I bet its not as interesting over there now, its probably all in a few cabinets. Mind you todays health and safety would have had a heart atack at us all waving neons with coils attached near valves with just a piece of ribbon in between! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In article , Brian Gaff writes

Well some of us remember transmitter theory practical demos at Evesham using a big aluminium ground plane and lightbulbs, with bits of wire attached as 1/4 wave and 1/2 wave dipoles. That was all at UHF, IIRC. and they most certainly lit up then.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

I've seen a torch bulb light up when connected across the centre terminals of a 27MHz CB dipole. The transmission was from three houses away and was very high powered.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

FWIW, I've set off burglar alarms and can crash the engine management of a Sierra running a few (25) watts @ 144MHz.

Reply to
Huge

Umm ... Are there any Sierra's left around?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Boots in Bridport twenty-odd years ago was always good for a bit of drive-by 'alarm-baiting' on 2m. Not me, you understand - I was just the passenger...

I remember the miniature scaled-down demonstration aerial arrays at BBC ETD - round the back of one of the top huts. I also remember hearing about the Rover full of BBC hierarchy visiting Wenvoe, and having to get out and push the car away from the antenna field down the drive when it wouldn't start. I heard the Droitwich pick-up loop story many times, but not seen it personally. Considering there was enough RF to light two 240V lamps to full brilliancy connected between the earths of both 200kW LF transmitters, I can well believe the tale, although I suspect it has been embellished occasionally.

I once chased some sheep out of the cooling ponds and found the fence-hole where they had got through. Once shot of them, I grabbed both sides of the fence to pull it together. 'Ouch! By Jingo! I say, that jolly well hurt!' I didn't say...

Reply to
Russell W. Barnes

I didn't say when this was.

But as it happens, this one still is. It's a 1987 RS Cosworth. Rather wish I hadn't sold it, now.

Reply to
Huge

In message , Brian Gaff writes

I wonder if the Vatican have ever wondered if it provides effective birth control?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Back in the 60s, when I used to operate from my car on AM, using 10W on

160m (1.8MHz), I was able to strike a fluorescent tube if I held it close to the top (high voltage) end of the 8" centre-loaded whip aerial. I could then walk about 6' away before went out.
Reply to
Ian Jackson

In the control rooms in Television Centre it used to be possible to get quite a bright flicker from a fluorescent tube by pressing one end against the perforated metal wall cladding, holding onto the other end, and scuffing your shoes on the carpet.

Rod.

Reply to
Roderick Stewart

No ... Bill's crashed them all ...

(Sorry, it had to be said ...)

Reply to
J. P. Gilliver (John)

[] We once had a talk at CARS by someone from the VLF transmitters (at Rugby, I think). He told us that:
  1. The farmers who rented the fields under the aerials fairly soon learned _not_ to uncoil coils of fencing wire beyond a certain length, which supports your story;
  2. They occasionally had demos of test equipment, which the salesmen said sure, was screened against RF interference, but when they turned them on, the pictures disappeared out of the corner of the CRTs, causing "it's never done _that_ before" type statements from the salesmen.
Reply to
J. P. Gilliver (John)

We had that at a much lower power site. BT man came to do some checks for an ISDN line. He came several times and nothing seemed to be happening so asked him what the problem was and it was his test equipment being affected by the RF though of course he did not realise what it was. We him lent our audio test set and he was able to check the line with that OK.

Reply to
MB

Yet another Kent graduate on uk.d-i-y....this group is seriously skewed...

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Bob Eager writes: []

(Apologies to others - I'd have emailed, but I guessed that "news0001" might not be a valid address.)

Hi - blast from the past indeed!

I am here via uk.tech.broadcast; I'm not sure when DIY got added to the thread (or why!).

(I'm back not too far from UKC - I now work in Rochester and live in Charing "near" Ashford.)

Reply to
J. P. Gilliver (John)