Driveway gates

Im looking for a firm that can do substantial bespoke driveway gates preferably in oak. I have googled this but was wondering if anyone has had personnel experience of getting gates made, and who they used. The diy element in this will be me building the pillars to hang them.;) Thanks Peter

Reply to
PW

Pretty sure Clarkes at Walsham le Willows will do trad gates and posts in oak.

Try a google and phone call. Not much on the web site as such.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dunno if they do oak, but Jacksons do some impressive gates. I know a few people who have used them and been very impressed.

We have one of their fences - pretty good stuff and virtually rot proof (I know of a few of their fences that have been up for >15 years and no sign of rot)

Might be worth getting a catalogue?

dmc

Where are you? I've had three gates made by a place in Hexham. Tannelised softwood but well constructed and none have dropped or had anything go wrong with them in not far short of 10 years. No hint of rot anywhere.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

At impressive prices to!

My three gates (14' field, 6' and 4' side) came to less than the cost of just the field gate from Jacksons. All of my gates where made to fit the openings and to my design, not stock sizes and the opening made to fit the gate.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A neighbour had gates made and fitted by

I think were to his own design. the quality and finish of the joinery is superb as was the fitting team apparently. If you intend building your own pillars I hope you have taken into consideration the weight of these gates, the larger ones are over 500Kg each. I suppose you do realise who much these are likely to cost? Most of the quality gate manufactures supply very glossy brochures, so I would send of for a few.

-
Reply to
Mark

LOL God only knows what you will think of the prices on the link that I sent then

-
Reply to
Mark

Good grief what are they making them out of? I can't remember how much I= paid for our three gates but it was around =A3500.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well, I made 5 bridle gates (each about 5') for my land about 5 years ago. I used oak from a friend who has a local timber yard (very reasonable prices). Each gate cost me approx £110 for the wood and fixings.

Reply to
Howard Neil

I think the prices include fitting The larger driveway gates are made of 4ins oak they look even more impressive in the flesh then on the web page, really beautifully made. They also give you work plans and specification drawings before you proceed with an order so a bit of a A Hall firm, but I cant knock the quality of the finished product. Oh they also exhibit at Chelsea flower show, so +25% snobs value.

-
Reply to
Mark

For that price I hope it includes from cutting the sod to put the post/pillars in to final installation and 12 month check up. Gates do dr= op once installed, even the best made ones. Maybe not much 1/8" over 13' or= less but enough to require adjustment of the hinges.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice