Driveway costs

The driveway to my house needs reconstructing. It looks like it was constructed by fly-by-night builders, some years ago, it's about 1cm of tarmac on a couple of inches of gravel. So, how much is it likely to cost to have it dug up, a reasonable depth of MoT Type 1 put down and tarmacced to support a 25 tonne oil delivery lorry (when we had the hard standing in front of the house done, we had 12" of Type 1, 3" of tarmac base coat & 1" of top coat).

The drive is ~100 metres long and ~3 metres wide.

Reply to
Huge

You're probably looking at ?8000-9000. Excavation & take way could be a couple of grand with the landfill tax. (Depending on how far it is to be transported.) Big saving if you can find somewhere on site to tip/make use of the excavated material.

Could be more depending on where you are and ease (or not) of access, also how far to tarmac coating plant. Also big additional expense, are you have kerbs/ other edging?

And f**k your luck if the planners get involved, they migh insist on a porous finish. And funny ideas about sight lines, entrances and gates. and off-road turning areas.

It will need to be a good job for a 25tonner especially if there are bends/turning. The four rear wheels can rip up poor tarmac with the sideways scuffing action.

Reply to
harryagain

Are you doing it yourself?

hiring a digger to scrape out 6" or more and then put down MOT is not that much - i'd leave it a year to bed down before tarmac-ing too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Have you considered something like this:

Looks like it withstands up to 170 tonnes per square metre, so should be ok for the oil delivery lorry.

But you are looking at around £9k for the grid alone, plus whatever amount of pea gravel you decide on (depends on depth), plus cost of removal of old driveway.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

scalpings are cheaper fwiw

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Hell, no. Sorry, should have made that plain.

Reply to
Huge

Jeff Layman scribbled

Or this