Driveway

My concrete drive has a few cracks in it. I am thinking of mixing some cement with water and brushing it into the cracks. This is just to make it look a little better. Question is: Will the cement just turn to powder when it dries?

Cheers.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Use a mix (3:1) of cement and fine sand (eg silver sand) and spread it dry, brushing it into the cracks, then water very gently using a watering can with fine rose. Repeat watering a couple of times after the last lot has soaked in. Once it's dry you may need to repeat the process if the first coat has sunk down into the cracks.

You could put it on wet, but it won't go down into the cracks very easily, and will leave a mess on the drive.

Cement powder is really just a "glue", it needs some filler (sand for mortar, aggregate for concrete) to bond with to give it some body and strength.

Reply to
DavidM

Thanks for that.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Mr P,

Just a thought for you using materials that you may have to hand - and a genuine (but a lazy and oddball) way of doing a repair.

Many year ago, I 'repaired' cracks (about 2mm wide) in my concrete driveway by widening the cracks with a plugging chisel and hammer, filling them with the ubiquitous silicone sealant (it was just starting to be used generally then) and brushing dry cement powder (OPC) onto the wet silicone to 'blend' the white of the silicone into the colour of the drive.

Some 20 years later, the stuff is still there and taking up the expansion and contraction of the drive (which caused the cracks in the first place) rather nicely.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Cheers for that. Hmmmm. Every driveway in the street has cracked, the foundations were apparently cinders. The last two severe winters have made the cracks worse. All I was looking for was a cosmetic fix.

Reply to
Mr Pounder