Driveway

Hi Would anyone know how much it costs to get a driveway for two cars? I live in the W.Sussex area? If you can recommend a good company, that would be very welcome.

Thanks, Simulet

Reply to
simulet

How big are your cars? How do you want your drive constructing? Little more detail? I'll come and chalk an outline for £100. Would that do?

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

I take it you are not including the purchase of land in this question?

If you are looking to DIY then this would be a good starting place:-

John Rumm

Hi again,

I am looking for a driveway in block paving (something durable). We have two quite wide cars (compared to the former Smart I had!), and I reckon the size is 5m x 7m.

Cheers, Simulet

Reply to
simulet

Personally I would hire a 1.5 tonne mini digger (probably 100 - 200 ish for the week) and dig out the area to approx 30cm deep (how deep you would go would depend a bit on the type of soil you have and how much other "stuff" there is in it (tree roots etc).

Dump the spoil in a couple of large skips (approx 130 each). Backfill approx 20cm with type 1 MOT road stone (probably under 15/tonne if you get it delivered in the "empty" skips - again if the ground is unstable / soft you may want to dig deeper and have some hard core under the Type

1) then level it off and tamp it down with a plate vibrator.

Next about 5cm of sharp sand - level and vibrate. Lay the blocks, and vibrate them flat (with a rubber protecting mat on the plate vibrator). Finally sweep in a dry soft sand and cement mix to grout the blocks.

No idea what it would cost to "have done" - but it is sure to be several K.

Reply to
John Rumm

Also consider patterned concrete. I have it and it's totally brilliant.

Cost... around £50/sqm up to £90sqm if you get ripped off by a sales orientated company.

I paid £58sqm as did many of my neighbours and we're all very pleased with the result and after three years it still looks like new - unlike sets which always seem to inherit the odd dip no matter how good the sub base.

Reply to
PJO

What is patterned concrete? I have never heard of it. Do you have a website where I can see how it looks.

We would rather get the driveway "done", than to diy, since the hubby is not that great with big projects - that said I have to get some guys to redo the fencing in the garden - at present it is leaning like the Pisa tower.

Reply to
simulet

Check out

than you ever wanted to know about paving of all sorts.

Reply to
Tony Bryer