Drive belt source for 1980's hi-fi casette player wanted

I've been given an old audio cassette with some interesting family recollections on it. I can play it ok in my crappy radio/cassette but when I resurected my old hi-fi to try to get a better reproduction I found - not unexpectedly - that the main drive 'rubber band' has turned to jelly. Its abour 30cm total length bt 5 or 6 mm wide and very thin. Any ideas where I might source a replacemment? Some of the other bands are looking a bit fragile too, but look as if they may just last for this task, but IO can live without a counter etc if they fail.

Phil (stirring from d-i-y slumber)

Reply to
Phil Addison

Cpc used to stock a kind of selection of this sort of thing, but its very hard to actually tell as often its the stretchability etc that is important. I need a new set of belts for some classic Technics dbx tape decks but can't seem to find the tiny thicround ones anywhere these days. its rather important as these raise and lower the head slide!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If you want microscopic belts, take a look at the various seals for watch cases. There are even different cross-sections, although stretvhability probably isn't great.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Tried Ebay? I got a belt for a 1970s projector from there.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Yes.

bought a set of belts for an AIWA tape deck from Bob. Postage cost is minimal.

Reply to
Davey

Ahh, that might explain, 15 years later, why mine, a RS-M275X, often refused to play unless I cycled it via stop and play a few times.

I thought at the time it was a friction problem due to grease drying up, bought a service manual and then never got round to fixing it.

It has to be a sign of old age when you can remember the exact model number (with a slight help from google) but can't remember something from 5 minutes ago.

"MSRP $600" 'kin hell, that is a lot of money. I don't think I paid much more than a couple of hundred quid but I could be wrong.

Reply to
The Other Mike

I recently looked on ebay at the prices of what were common 'Hi'Fi' units back in my day, things like Armstrong 2 x 8 watt amplifiers, Goodmans Module 80/90/100 receivers, Sansui stuff, etc and was amazed to see what people were asking for them. So I fixed my old Goodmans Module

80, and the cassette deck, mentioned earlier, is in the process of being dissected right now. But if you have a Hacker or Roberts radio that needs work, I can point you to The Man for them.

- Davey.

Reply to
Davey

Wow, that's more than I hoped for even fron uk.d-i-y, someone selling spares for the actual make and model number, and I didn't even think it was worth googling for that...

"Pioneer CT-F650 Belt Kit $19.00 5 belts Belt kit w/ Factory Service Manual (in PDF) Combo $23.00"

Just ordered them, many thanks Davey.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

Glad it worked out!

Reply to
Davey

I have used a firm called Grandata for this kind of thing.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

For future reference, even the humble stationery rubber band lasts many years, adequate for a percentage of repairs.

NT

Reply to
NT

"30cm total length bt 5 or 6 mm wide and very thin"

note the last measurement dopey

Reply to
geoff

RCW2

Send what over, geoff? I don't think this pile of jelly is convertible ;)

But anyway I have ordered the USA kit now, and recieved the full pdf manual already from him, and excellent scan quality it is too, with full servicing circuit and mechanical details. The rubber bands will take a little longer to arrive tho ;)

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

May be useful for other applications but o-rings tend not to be 5 or 6 mm wide and very thin.

Reply to
Phil Addison

I forgot this source...

The Natural Philosopher

Hi Brian

It might be worth email bob at this site

He lists some technics turntable belts but not your dbx tape machine. However he seems to get his bands from a firm that makes them for him so it may be possible.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

Do you mean this firm?

can't see anything like it on their website.

Reply to
Phil Addison

Definitely a fall back option, but are you sure about longevity, I find rubber bands going gooey very quickly these days.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

No luck on ebay