Drips and splatter

Hi all,

I've been adding to my newly-decorated flat with a projector screen painted on the wall

I'm not an experienced decorator (as you'll see :).

All was fine until I painted the black border. I was a bit haphazard, and there are a few splatters / drips of black on my matt mocha wall and gloss white skirting board! I've left it to dry rather than trying to get fancy while it's wet.

What's the best way to rectify? Just get a really small brush and paint over the black bits? Sand the black bits? Both? What about trying to scrape them off with a Stanley blade?

Also, when I removed some of the masking tape, a very small amount of paint was lifted but stayed attached to the wall - can I just overpaint it or do I have to scrape any paint that has been lifted off?

Antony

Reply to
antony

What sort of paint is the black stuff? oil/water based?

How recently was the redecorating done - do you have any of the mocha stuff left over?

Dvaid

Reply to
Lobster

Not sure, it's Ultra Black as at:

there any way I can find out?

Very, and I sure do. :)

Reply to
antony

Whether it's oil- or water-based might help with deciding how to proceed...

...howewver, the above being the case, I'd say your solution is a no-brainer, just paint over it. As the decorating is recent, and you have more paint from the same batch, there shouldn't be any evidence of a junction between the old and the new... if they are chunky dry drips of black paint then you'd want to sand them flat first, otherwise they'll still show through. And try to 'feather' the edge of the area you paint rather than make a definite edge - will help make it less visible.

David

Reply to
Lobster

They didn't say. However I can report that the foam applicator for the black paint gets clean under a running tap.

A no-brainer is just what I'm looking for. I've already sanded some of the black off, I took my time, and I managed to disturb minimal good paint. I was careful (for me) - I started with 400 grit, but it took ages, and I was unimpressed. The 40 grit shifted it. I suppose the medium grades are more for when you sand the paint without removing it all!

Out of interest, what difference would oil or water have made in the other case?

Reply to
antony

The idea with any sanding work is to start with the coarsest grade you need, and then to work up (down?) through the grades until you get to the desired level of finish.

Well TBH probably not a hell of a lot once the paint was completely dry and cured; I was just looking for more info at the outset and if you hadn't had the right paint in stock it might have been worth trying something using the appropriate solvent?

David

Reply to
Lobster

I've settled on the 80 grit for removing the offending black paint marks. The 40 was too coarse, and the 80 is much better for this delicate task. In practice, is the finish left by the 80 good enough to paint on? It feels pretty smooth to me. I've only been sanding to remove paint - the surface was fine before.

As an aside (and here I'm really showing how little I know about decorating), the original was applied with a roller. If I touch up with a brush, will it look obvious, or will it blend in relatively well? The drips I'm touching up are around 5mm wide, so I'm not keen to use a roller - seems like overkill.

Antony

Reply to
antony