Dripping noise

Since we started using the central heating again a couple of weeks ago, when the heating is on I can hear a dripping noise when sat in the lounge. The noise appears to be coming from the ceiling, probably where central heating pipes run. So far there is no water mark on the ceiling and I can't feel anything damp but the dripping noise can be quite rapid at times and then slow down for a while.

Is it likely to be a leak or could it just be expansion?

Thanks

John

Reply to
John

could it be a pipe expanding - they often make a ticking like noise as they stick/slip in a slot - does it start after the pump stars running - there should be water in the pipe all the time so it should leak all the time not just when the pump is running ??

Reply to
Ageless

That's what happens when things heat up and expand! Nothing to be concerned about unless you notice a mark on the cieling - then get the lifeboat ready. I have an electrically operated valve on one pipe and it bangs shut which is quite alarming.

Reply to
Don

Mine can sound like someone creeping about upstairs.

Reply to
John

Just expansion otherwise it would drip all the time.

Reply to
Jim S

In message , Don writes

"i" before "e" except after "c"

Reply to
geoff

What a weird comment. I suppose you had seize the moment from a great height to give weight to that.

Reply to
dennis

Once the system has "warmed up", if the noise stops just rest assured that you aren't losing water from the CH system. If you have a combi boiler do you constantly lose pressure?

I have a combi, and after the heating has been off for a while the pressure gauge does start at well down but picks up as the system heats up. I can't see any leaks so I assume that the apparent pressure loss is in the boiler - I'm awaiting a visit from the Heateam guy.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In message , "dennis@home" writes

Well, it's something that is so ingrained that I don't see how anyone can get it wrong, unless they are a total retard

It's such a basic rule of English

So you can f*ck off too, window licker

Reply to
geoff

Haven't we just gone through this and the exceptions to this "rule", or was it in another group?

There ought to be far more important things in your life to worry about than the spelling in a newsgroup.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Most likely to be expansion as others have explained.

Once pulled the place apart for a moth fluttering behind a large mirror.

The problem was that I was worried that loft tank was overflowing - won't go into complicated reasons why I thought this might be the case but the important lesson is that your brain interprets what you think you fear as what you are hearing - the fact that there was no water and the noise was intermittent did not figure as I KNEW what is was.

Of course a moth fluttering its last does not sound like an overflow and now if I hear that noise my brain tells me it is a moth so I will miss the overflow if it happens.

matter how careful the installer is, creaks seem likely at some time. My best successes seems to have been with the saddle type of clips with a plastic saddle that you push the pipe into. In your case you might decide to live with it or when you can get access try something - start with slackening off a little repeat little any screws holding metal pipe clips. Don't fasten back the floor boards until you are sure you have got it fixed as you are very likely to want to go back to it.

Most creaks seem to occur where there is a right angle bend and/or restricted space.

Here in an old cottage I am pleased the mice no longer squeal with the heat as the pipes warm up.

Reply to
Paul Kelly

When Spouse installed our - back in the early 1980s, he drilled holes through the joists to atke the pipes which were going the 'wtong' way. He also tried to save a bit of work by using a length of pipe which was short enough to make it tight.

The creaking disturbed my sleep so much that I was distressed. He lifted the boards, added a small piece of pipe and the creaking stopped.

Good advice.

True.

They learn quickly :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Thus spake geoff ( snipped-for-privacy@kateda.org) unto the assembled multitudes:

What, as in "freight", "height", "weird" and "weight"?

Reply to
A.Clews

Everyone's forgetting what's probably the most commonly used exception - 'their'.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Stop it - it might just have been a bit of keyboard trouble.

Reply to
John

Don't tell me to stop it, I didn't point out the original solecism, just adding to the lexicon of exceptions.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Prescient veiled neighbour seizes eight heinous ancient weighty sciences.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Did you make that up all by yourself?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I do believe you mean "reigns" but the sentiment stands :o)

Reply to
Bob Mannix

No it could be what he said but might be a bit more challenging....

Reply to
Andy Hall