Dripping fancy kitchen tap

We have an IKEA tap, Oxskar:

It drips.

I've taken the thing apart, but couldn't even get into the most intimate parts of it, so I've not been able to repair it.

Surely it must be possible to replace the disc or whatever has worn out!

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

"D.M. Procida" wrote in message news:1lm76jy.15uldlp69dbggN% snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk...

These sort of taps have a non-dismantleable cartridge that contains the ceramic disks. You need a new cartridge.

Reply to
harryagain

maybe its just limescale though, seems a bit odd that one cannot even get in to clean it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I suspected as much - though my dismantling could only get as far as big lump of metal weighing about 700g, that I could see no way of getting into!

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

For a dripping bathroom tap, fed from the cold water tank, opening and closing the tap fully a few times seems to clean the disc enough to stop it dripping for a few months.

For a dripping kitchen sink tap, on mains pressure, I was able to dismantle the cartridge and pack out the disc with plastic sheet cut from a shopping bag [1]. (This provides a bit more pressure on the sealing surfaces.)

Attempts to buy a new cartridge from the fancy plumbing showroom at my local builders' merchants were thwarted by claims of "We don't stock 'em, they never leak".

Again, this only kept it going for a few months before needing to be repeated. Eventually the sink suffered an unrelated crack (not me, guv!) and we bought a tap with traditional washers to go with the new sink.

[1] An earlier tip from this group. Thank you.
Reply to
Graham Nye

snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida) wrote in news:1lm7vbk.1ph2r6i1itn3a8N% snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk :

DerbyBorn

Thanks, but: if only...

Here's a picture of the tap:

The part I'm unable to dismantle is a great lump of metal nearly the same diameter and length as the main body of the device shown in the picture.

I'm not sure what's inside it, but it's a mixer tap controlled by a single joystick that moves in two dimensions. Perhaps it's some weirdo custom design that I won't find a spare part for, or perhaps inside there's a standard part. But I can't get inside.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

The ceramic rarely wears out but the seal relies on pressure from an oring or some such thing, sometimes replacing the o ring (sometimes funny shaped) will do the trick. Most of the units are dismantable sometimes this is done to reverse the handle direction on some units

Reply to
F Murtz

I'd guess (having had to do something similar with tap from Lidl) that the guggins are held in by a quite small screw, more to locate than support. Then, the main part should drop out - mine was a very tight tolerance and took some persuading.

Hasten to add and again and as usual, leaked once I'd fixed it ;-)

Reply to
RJH

replying to F Murtz, JonL wrote: I have the same tap and it leaks too; here is the cartridge, which costs about £45 in the UK. It has Artikel Nr 96339000 embossed on it. To get to it undo a very small allen grub key on the side of the body, then unscrew the big nut, then pull apart.

JonL