Dripping CH overflow

I have recently noticed my expansion tank overflow is dripping, it only seems to have started during this protracted cold spell. I have inspected the tank and it is not the ball c*ck the excess water is coming from the expansion pipe. I have drained some water from the system to reduce the water level, vented all the radiators but found no air in the system, I have also set the pump on a lower setting. Is this something I should be concerned about or is it the system doing what it should be doing. If it requires attention what needs doing?

Thanks Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Does the level continue to rise when you drain some out and tie up the ball valve to stop any fresh mains water from coming in?

Do you have a header tank for the hot water system, whose level is higher than that in the F&E tank?

If the answer to both of these questions is 'yes', the prime suspect - as someone else has suggested - has to be a hole in the indirect coil inside the HW cylinder. The pressure in the cylinder - surrounding the coil - will be slightly higher than that inside the coil due to the difference in levels of the water in the respective header tanks. Thus, if there is a leak in the coil, water will flow *into* the coil, and thus into the primary circuit, causing the water level in the F&E tank to rise.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Can it be:

When the water cools it contracts and lowers the level in the header tank. This admits more water - then when it heats up it expands and pushes the surplus out of the overflow. I think this line is worth thinking about before looking for leaks in the heat exchanger. If the header tank is a relatively small surface area then a bit of expansion can make quite a difference to the level.

Does it mainly leak when starting up the heating and then doesn't leak until next time? The header tank acts as an expansion space.

Reply to
John

That *can* happen if the water level is set too high to start with.

But if, with the static level lowered and the ball valve disabled, the level *still* rises (other than by the natural effects of expansion) there *must* be some 'foreign' water getting into the primary ciruit.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks all I will be trying to make sure it is not the ball c*ck today. I will report back later.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Back again

I have checked the ball c*ck on the F&E tank, the washer was slightly worn changed it but still got an ever so slight drip. I changed it with a new one ( belt & braces) no drips from the ball c*ck but all the time I was working on the ball c*ck the heating was on and water continued to drip out of the expansion pipe. Conclusion - it must be the heat exchanger in the hot water cistern. Only good thing is at least this is an item covered under EONs central heating care so it should be a free repair/replacement.

Thanks for all the help Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky