Dripping ceramic disc taps.

Whole kit and caboodle.

What pushes the discs together? There didn't seem any (simple/obvious) way of taking the one I had a part to get at the discs, otherwise I would have... May still have it my "scrap brass" box.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Is the colour the only diference? What happens if you want the hot on opposite side of the tap but still turning the "correct" way say top away = off.

Does this open "the hot is always on the left" debate?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Some time ago, 'expert opinion' in this NG decided that the colours of the inserts only served to identify hot and cold (hence which side each went, hence the direction of turn).

The convention is indeed 'hot on the left', and when the taps 'on', the levers are parked folded back (ie the levers are pointing left and right in opposite directions). However, several contributors were of the opinion that they preferred 'the opposite', so that the water was 'on' with the lever pointing towards you, and 'off' when folded back.

Whether which side is hot and cold depends on which pipes are connected from beneath. Swapping the inserts simply determines which way the lever turns to turn the water on and off. Of course, you will need to fit the levers on the splines so that they point in the right directions (eg towards you when 'on', and outwards when 'off'). Obviously, you fit the lever with the red top on the hot tap, and the blue on the cold - regardless of which way you have made them turn.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Try this, press down quite hard on the top of the tap when it?s off Still dripping ? if not dismantle and ask yourself what keeps the two discs pressed together.

-
Reply to
Mark

I took a ceramic cartridge to Plumbcentre (or Plumbbase or whatever) to find a matching replacement and they looked at is as if I'd presented them with a stick of roobarb in a sweater.

Reply to
Scott M

We too live a very soft water area, but none the less they scaled up. The first time I stripped them down I didn't see it, reassembled, found they still dripped so tried again. It seems to just need a very thin film to allow the water through.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Dave Liquorice pretended :

I think they rely on the water pressure provide the full seal. As I remember I had to hook the disks out, they were quite a good fit.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Seconded.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thirded.

I've gone back to "proper" taps with washers.

Reply to
Huge

OK - I'll double check on that Harry.

Reply to
Ret.

In message , Ret. writes

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Better cross them off my list then!

Reply to
Ret.

OK!

Reply to
Ret.

On the ones in my son's tap, there is a coloured rubber washer in the bottom of the cartridge - and it stands proud of the bottom of the cartridge. This is resting on a copper disk which also has a rubber seal which presses against the ceramic discs. When the cartridge is screwed into the tap, the rubber washer in the bottom of the cartridge is pushed in - and that leads to the ceramic discs being pressed together.

Reply to
Ret.

I can see what presses the two discs together (explained in another of my posts on the thread). It may be possible, thinking about it, to add a shim to increase the pressure on the disks. Good thinking!

Reply to
Ret.

I've a ceramic disc mixer that was in the kitchen for a few years then moved to the utility room and eventually into the garage where its been for the past few months. It was originally fitted in mid 1986, and while the white enamel has nearly all come off and the O rings on the spout pivot are no doubt knackered, it's never been touched internally.

At the time I fitted it the key thing I was told by an 'expert' was that plumbing debris and water supply debris rapidly kills them. Careful flushing and fitting reduces the impact of any plumbing debris so they should last 'forever' unless the water board have been out stirring shit up in the pipes.

Reply to
The Other Mike

I couldn't find a local plumbers merchant that had a clue about replacement inserts. In the end I went to "

" and found the correct one straight away. I was amazed at just how many different styles there are!

Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

I wonder if they'd give me a discount?

-- Kev (Lunn) !!

Reply to
Ret.

Was talking to my son on the telephone last night. I asked him to try your suggestion. Although it didn't stop the steady drip completely - it down slow it down dramatically - so this would appear to be a solution in the offing. I'm going to attempt to create a shim which will result in greater pressure being put on the discs when the cartridge is screwed home.

Thanks again for that suggestion.

Reply to
Ret.

replying to Dave Liquorice, Kalamgish wrote: This did the trick for me, I designed and printed out (3d printer) a .4mm thick shim which I inserted between the bottom washer and the disc, problem solved.

Reply to
Kalamgish