Drip-drip-drip driving us mad

We had a loft extension build a year ago.

There is a "feature" left from the original roof that consists of a small pitched roof with tiles at the old roof level.

The down pipe from the flat roof gutter has an S bend and an open shoe resting on the small pitched roof. The water then runs down a tile or two to the gutter below it.

When it is raining there is no problem. But once the rain has stopped and the final run-off from the top roof is just a small trickle then we get a constant drip-drip which is driving us mad - as it is just outside the bedroom window.

What seems to be happening is that somehow, instead of running down the inside of the down-pipe as one would expect from a S bend, there is a drip coming straight down the middle of the pipe and hitting the bottom of the shoe which is resting on the roof tile.

I have checked at roof level and all is well. In any event, the S bend should ensure that the water runs down the inside pipe wall.

There must be some lip at the bottom of the S bend that is throwing the water off the wall.

Any ideas what I can do, short of dismantling the pipe-work? (not very simple being three floors up)

Reply to
Les Desser

Put a rope there, the water should run down that rather than freefalling.

Reply to
R D S

In article , R D S Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:50:23 writes

Simple! Well worth a try. Now I just have to find the right type of rope. I have some nylon (or similar artificial fibre) rope about 5-6 mm diameter somewhere. I wonder if that will do.

I can see some fun and games getting the rope past the S bend but I'm sure we'll get there.

Many thanks for the suggestion.

Reply to
Les Desser

maybe more wick-like rope would be better than nylon rope..

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

In article , "George (dicegeorge)" Tue, 22 Apr 2008 23:36:34 writes

That did go through my mind, but the nylon one I have got ....

You are probably right - probably worth hunting for something better.

Reply to
Les Desser