Drills

I would like to thank all those who have replied to my earlier question

I'm afraid my brain does not like inconsistency - and technical term always puzzle me until resolved. However, I have gate post to fix I've no idea of the type of brick the post is affixed. Although an SD drill would seem to be the better option, I think my budget will onl stretch to a "mid-range" hammer drill, unless I can an SDS in a sal (any particular brand? I was told that RYOBI were reasonable).

AK

-- akmirza

Reply to
akmirza

For your job, maybe drilling 50mm*10mm into brick, the cheapest, low-end hammer drill will work just fine.

I went into homebase last week, and obtained, for 17.99 or so, a 'Power Base 550W hammer drill kit', along with a 3 year guarantee. PB550HD is the model number.

It was for use in relatively confined spaces, so weight and size was important to me.

It will not drill as fast as a SDS into very hard brick with a 10mm bit, however, as you only have one hole to do, this is not an issue.

(A quick review, for others. Decent speed control, not much vibration, hammer/not switch not too bad, and no stupid keyless chuck, which in budget models basically doesn't work)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Mid range "ordinary" hammer drill with reverse and variable speed (so you can drive and remove screws with it as well):

first mid range SDS that does not weigh a ton:
and chearful, will do this job just fine. A low end to mid range tool:
rare beast - a low end SDS that is still in the 2kg class:
same again but with more power and chisel function:

John Rumm

Try drilling Stafford Blues with an ordinary hammer drill. You won't get far.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Isn't a Stafford Blue a breed of pig? In that case I'm not surprised an ordinary hammer drill isn't suitable.

Dave

Reply to
david lang