Drilling Tiles

Hi,

I need to drill into my new ceramic wall tiles in my bathroom to install a shelf etc. Would you recomend using specific tile drill bits, which are the spear point type or can I get away with using standard masonry drill bit?

Thanks

Tom

Reply to
Thomarse

For small holes to insert plugs and screws etc I have just used a masonary bit with masking tape on the tile to stop the bit slipping.

Reply to
Slider

I've used my SDS drill and standard SDS bits without any problems. Don't forget to turn the hammer action off!

It really depends what they are made of. Some these days are porcelain and you need a pukka diamond drill for those. Plus a deal of patience. I must admit to not being impressed with those tile drills. The universal Bosch ones work better and cost no more. But if the tiles are not too hard an ordinary new and sharp masonry bit works fine with no hammer action. Dipping the tip in water helps keep it cool and sharp.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Best to have a new drill as they tend to get a bit rounded off with use. The sharp edge at the point is needed to chip away the glaze. If worn it will merely rub.

Reply to
John

Use one of these Bosch Multi Material bits

have a much sharper point than a standard masonry bit. With the drill off, push the bit onto the mark where the hole will be - push hard & you will hear a 'creak' noise as the point penetrates the surface. No need for tape, the bit won't now wander.

Drill with hammer off until you go through the tile, then switch the hammer on if necessary.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

> They have a much sharper point than a standard masonry bit. With the

I have just bought one of these on you recommendation MHM. I also got the two sets of rawplugs to try them both. I too am putting up a pull out mirror tomorrow and drilling through the tiles. Is it best to try to go through the grout? Will use the bosch multi purpose drill bit you recommended to me on the plasterboard screw thread.

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Ive tried the lot.All work but the one I like the best is a little diamond core drill. Takes its time and likes to be well lubricated, but there is almost no pressure on the tile.

I did buy it for quartzite mosaics: i used to ue standard masonry for crap tiles and did once borrow a pointy thing for a harder tile.

But I have cracked cheap tiles with a masonry bit and a tad too much pressure. Which you need to get past thye glaze. Once into the substrate almost anything works pretty well.

But I love my little diamond core drill!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

>>> They have a much sharper point than a standard masonry bit. With the

Personally I don't think so. The grout line is rarely in the right place for top & bottom fixings, plus IME its easier to chip the edge of a tile than when drilling a hole in the main part

Will use the bosch multi purpose drill bit

Ideal. Let us know how you get on.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Not really - with 'weak' tiles there's a very real danger of cracking them. If you really need to drill there use a diamond core drill.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Slow isn't the word if the tiles are hard.

An ordinary HSS drill is fine for breaking the glaze. But will blunt rapidly when it hits the ceramic.

The Bosch multi purpose mentioned before are pretty well the same as HSS for getting through glass - but don't blunt on the ceramic. They struggle with porcelain, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I usually use a 'standard' metalworking centre punch and a very light tap with a hammer to break the glaze and provide a non-slip 'start' for a standard masonry drill. I usually put a small one through the tile and into the wall first, and then open out the hole in the tile, and the wall behind if necessary, with a larger standard masonry drill. I've been doing it like that for 30 odd years, without having to use a new drill bit every time, and without ever breaking a tile.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I have a tungsten carbide tipped tile cutter and use the point of that to break the glaze and provide a pilot - I've not had the confidence to use a centre punch, which does sound a good idea. But I'd bet I'd manage to break a tile if trying it. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

'Tis, it's what I use, or a nail. It just needs a very gently tap to break the glaze. I sometimes work the tip of the punch (nail) a bit to get a good start for the drill. Don't bother with a pilot but do use one of those "universal" drills rather than a standard masonary one.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The main reason that I put a small hole through first, is that the smaller drill flutes have less glaze to get through before starting to cut the actual tile substrate. Also, the smaller flute area at the tip allows a greater pressure to be applied which can help with hard tiles, and to keep the drill tip temperature down. It also gets you into the wall behind easier, without having to apply hammer action with the drill shaft through the hole in the tile. Once you are through with the small hole, a larger diameter drill to suit the shoulder of the plug, easily removes the additional 'ring' of glaze, and opens the hole in the tile with a minimum of stress. If you don't follow all the way in with the larger drill, when you insert the wall plug, it will grab nice and tight at its tip, into the reduced size hole. When you then whack the screw in with your electric screwdriver, it tightens nicely as the screw gets to the bottom of the plug, and doesn't 'run away' with you, as is so easily done when driving with a high torque electric screwdriver, and crack the tile.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily