Drilling through mains cable!

No I am out of trouble everything is working fine and the Mrs has forgiven me and boy have I learnt a lesson!

I still can't believe that after the initial flash you poked at it with a screwdriver A pal of mine drilled into an incoming main which (unlike yours) was un-fused - he lost huge areas of skin and had a long painful recovery - electricity is a killer ..not only for you as it can kill the person trying to save you,

fatal assumption that anything is 'normal'

Reply to
Chris Oates

Chris

Are you suggesting that buried junction boxes and notched loits are routinely checked before fitting new consumer units?

I poked at it twice because in my panic to restore power the first time I did not make a note of which MCB had tripped. I used thick rubber gloves and an insulated elecrticians screw driver. I also knew the RCD would cut in again - not a great idea I admit but I was happy with the precautions.

Regards

Good idea Thanks.

I poked at it twice because in my panic to restore power the first time I did not make a note of which MCB had tripped. I used thick rubber gloves and an insulated elecrticians screw driver. I also knew the RCD would cut in again - not a great idea I admit but I was happy with the precautions.

and then Mr 'no brains' will drill a huge hole and feed all his cables thro it rather than drill some small much safer ones

Reply to
Chris Oates

No legislating around stupidity (contrary to apparent beliefs of some Govt departments). Mr No Brains isn't going to be referring to any poncy On-Site Guide or other form of advice anyway...

Reply to
stefek.zaba

no they aren't - nobody would know where to start looking

the Regs are (maybe) a deterrent

all that's (maybe) done is an insulation test which 'might' find a nail close to conductors and a loop test to confirm that circuits reach the consumer unit - a ring final test would be good.

I've seen testers walk around with hugely expensive multifunction testers confirming everything good without ever conducting basic tests like is a ring actually a ring

We were left with a sub circuit wired upside down (live neutral swapped) by a power company !

Don't trust anyone

Reply to
Chris Oates