Drilling Oak

Hi

I have a nice piece of oak about an inch thick and I am trying to make a wine rack out of it. I have been using a 102mm hole saw to cut it but its very hard work and seems to burns it way through and I have given up after 2 holes!

Is this because the hole saw is just blunt, or am I using the wrong type of tool or should I find some other thinner material.

Your help and advice would be much welcome.

Alec

Reply to
alecgreen

I expect you are drilling too fast, hence the burning.

You need to do this on a drilling machine at say 100 rpm and regularly clear the dust as there is no way for it to escape on this sort of cutter. It will be a slow process You will possibly need to take a second cut with a router and guide bush running in a template to take off a further 1/2mm or so.

Do NOT try and cut the initial hole with a router.

The ideal tool for the job is a forstner bit but a 102mm one will cost the earth.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

fly cutter at low RPM might work.

A router WILL do it in one go but again, slowly

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Are you drilling down? If so this will lead to the saw clogging with dust.

To fix this mark the hole saw perimeter on the wood, and then drill some

10mm holes or similar just inside the circumference so that they intersect with it, but don't actually cross it. That will create an exit path for the dust wich will allow the hole say to cut much better. Alternatively clamp it upright in a vice first.

You could make a template in a softer timber and then use it as a router template.

Reply to
John Rumm