Drilling into concrete fence post

I shall be replacing my fence soon and will use concrete posts from wickes.

I assume there will be steel rods inside for strength.

Will I have a problem drilling into one to fit a gate?

Any tips?

Steve.........

Reply to
dog-man

Yes, 1/4" wire, roughly.

I've not had trouble - straight through the middle of the web seems to miss them. Have a look when you buy them and see whether you can find a broken one to see where the rebar is.

Reply to
Skipweasel

I thought that the bars were only in the bits that stick out to go each side of the panel. A neighbour was telling me the other day that it was that bit that was spalling on his posts due to rusty bars. Middle should be clear.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Yo gonna need an SDS drill for a start. Best option is to attach a treated wooden post & fix the gate to that.

Go for the centre & you should miss the rebar. I use Multi Monti's or Thunderbolts - they won't crack the post.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Normally I'd agree that concrete's a sod without one - but don't forget that with new posts they're probably only a week or two old and much softer than you'd expect.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Not the ones in my local Wickes - some have algae growing on them :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The concrete posts that B&Q sell for slot in panels have two lengths of rebar right up the middle maybe an inch apart - I hacked a foot or so off some not long back - I could cut nearly full depth all round with a small diamond disc without hitting any steel.

Reply to
The Other Mike

That's our conservation range!

Chris